Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wirenuts and NFPA79

wirenuts and NFPA79

Are wire nuts allowed inside control boxes of portable equipment, If not is there a suitable alternative like wago connectors ?

to my understanding, if a wire nut or splice is not allowed then a Wago would not be allowed. but that is as far as I can advise.
    Student of electrical codes. Please Take others advice first.

I wanted to know if the wirenut is allowed, if not maybe the code reference
    I know it says about motor make up somewhere.

I don't know of a code saying you can't.

IMHO, if a splice is allowed in the box, then wirenuts are allowed since they are listed wire splicing devices. To give you a better answer, can you be more specific about the box?

Splices (NFPA 79, Sec. 16.1.4). You are required to run conductors and cables from terminal to terminal without splices. However, an exception allows you to install a splice in leads attached to electrical equipment, such as motors and solenoids,

This is why I am asking about wire nuts, I wanted to come into junction box with power and divide it up into 4 wires using wire nut for components of junction box. This NFPA79 makes it sound like I should daisy chain from terminal to terminal.

Sounds like perfect situation for 5 hole wagos..lol.
    Student of electrical codes. Please Take others advice first.

Quote Originally Posted by wireday View Post
    Splices (NFPA 79, Sec. 16.1.4). You are required to run conductors and cables from terminal to terminal without splices. However, an exception allows you to install a splice in leads attached to electrical equipment, such as motors and solenoids,

This is why I am asking about wire nuts, I wanted to come into junction box with power and divide it up into 4 wires using wire nut for components of junction box. This NFPA79 makes it sound like I should daisy chain from terminal to terminal.
    Is that a "lead[s] attached to electrical equipment"? It sounds like a lead dividing into four circuits.

I can't speak about electrical code, just not my area. I'm a maintenance guy in a hospital setting. I offer the following FWIW.

I have never seen a factory wired panel with wire nuts. Wiring is always brought to terminal strips. If ten jumpers are needed on the hot so be it. If something like a solenoid is wired in, and leads aren't long enough, I always see crimped butt connectors used (or molex connectors).

You can get terminals with "combs" that you use on one side to jump together however many you need.No splices means no splices. Codes do generally get so specific as to making a list of prohibited components, they are always going to generalize.

As was said, if the 4 leads are going DIRECTLY to the end devices, then maybe. But if I bought a machine from you and when I opened it up I saw a bunch of wire nuts, that would be the last one I would buy from you.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________
    Many people are shocked when they discover I am not a good electrician...