Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hall of shame candidate

Quote Originally Posted by LarryFine View Post
    Okay, I'll ask: What's wrong with them?

They are flimsy and typically associated with DIY and trunk slammer work- much like tape around wire nuts. Never seen a pro use Carlon unless perhaps its their heavy duty version and it was never in a new build.
    I'm in over my head...

Quote Originally Posted by mbrooke View Post
    They are flimsy and typically associated with DIY and trunk slammer work- much like tape around wire nuts. Never seen a pro use Carlon unless perhaps its their heavy duty version and it was never in a new build.
    I use Carlon, not the heavy duty version, and it's in new builds

Quote Originally Posted by Adamjamma View Post
    ok, just me asking, but how does he consider the wires secured within 12 inches? By going through the hole in the stud? And the bend is too tight as well...lol
    And even I know that the box is overfilled, but what gets me as well is trying to figure out his numbering system. I number based on breakers, and then use letters for light switch circuits, but all numbers to a circuit should match... it looks like he just put a bunch of numbers on wires since he was told to label stuff...lol...maybe he was listening to a car race that day...
    You think that particular installer was concerned about securing within 12 inches?

Quote Originally Posted by mbrooke View Post
    I sort of had that approach for some time about them. I still don't like the multi-gang boxes and try to avoid them as much as possible, but single gang 18 cubic inch - is cheap at big box store, and not really much flimsier than any other plastic box, if you want a fairly rigid box (which is more critical with multi-gang) then you should be looking at fiberglass or other more expensive plastic boxes.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    You think that particular installer was concerned about securing within 12 inches?

I sort of had that approach for some time about them. I still don't like the multi-gang boxes and try to avoid them as much as possible, but single gang 18 cubic inch - is cheap at big box store, and not really much flimsier than any other plastic box, if you want a fairly rigid box (which is more critical with multi-gang) then you should be looking at fiberglass or other more expensive plastic boxes.
    Agreed. These boxes have been around for decades. I have yet to see anything tragic result from their use. I've installed plenty, in new and old work. No, I don't use the 3G or larger boxes either.

Quote Originally Posted by Craigv View Post
    Agreed. These boxes have been around for decades. I have yet to see anything tragic result from their use. I've installed plenty, in new and old work. No, I don't use the 3G or larger boxes either.
    I don't like even the two gang - bend the mounting nails just slightly and not notice and you are going to twist that box to some degree - might be device mounting holes end up too far apart for the device when you come to install devices, might not be straight/level when you install devices, etc. Plus the clamps break off too easily, especially in cold weather, or at least used to, not sure if they changed any since I last had this issue or not.

Quote Originally Posted by drcampbell View Post
    Ubiquitous.
    Attachment 21334
    Haha - I've seen that before!

Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    I don't like even the two gang - bend the mounting nails just slightly and not notice and you are going to twist that box to some degree - might be device mounting holes end up too far apart for the device when you come to install devices, might not be straight/level when you install devices, etc. Plus the clamps break off too easily, especially in cold weather, or at least used to, not sure if they changed any since I last had this issue or not.
    The twisting is manageable as I've always looked for it on any nail-on box. I've had clamps break in cold weather on every brand with a molded clamp, even had some shatter if I missed with the hammer while installing.

When the box costs under a buck, some losses are expected

Quote Originally Posted by Craigv View Post
    The twisting is manageable as I've always looked for it on any nail-on box. I've had clamps break in cold weather on every brand with a molded clamp, even had some shatter if I missed with the hammer while installing.

When the box costs under a buck, some losses are expected
    Multiple gang boxes usually are over a buck.

Never had P&S boxes have clamp breakage problems, they are not anything like the Carlon design though. But you aren't pulling cable back out of them all that easily either if you decide you don't want it in that clamp for whatever reason. If you can cut it off outside the box and pull it "in" that is easiest way to remove, but you have to not care that you cut the cable off, or have more to pull from elsewhere.

Still I don't even like P&S plastic three gang boxes all that much, too easy for drywallers to distort, and leave you with something hard to fix if discovered at trim time.

Quote Originally Posted by DBoone View Post
    I use Carlon, not the heavy duty version, and it's in new builds

I'm in over my head...

Michigan. It's a beautiful penninsula, I've looked around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamjamma View Post
    that is true. I study because I like to know why... same reason I took and passed my extra exams.. but could not pass the code portion..morse code, that is... lol...
    Extra here, it was no big deal but I did have to put in some study time. The Morse, which I did pass, was a bit tough for me, but not my 11 year old daughter. She passed with flying colors. I barely squeaked by. I am coming up on my 25th year as a ham, first licensed in 1994.

73 de K8MHZ
    Cheers and Stay Safe,

Marky the Sparky