Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: testing integrity of buried egc?

Quote Originally Posted by LarryFine View Post
    If you can't push a fishtape through the tube of rust, you have to use the neutral and re-ground it.
    Of course, bond it and say that was originally done that way - still compliant right?

Actually I'd be a little surprised to not find neutral bonded at the second structure in this installation.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post

Actually I'd be a little surprised to not find neutral bonded at the second structure in this installation.
    It has a poorly done subpanel. 3 wires feed 2 20a breakers. A few years ago i unbonded the neutral and add a ground bar and a ground rod.

Would that account for my high impendance readings? (approx 175 ohm).?

Quote Originally Posted by ricry View Post
    It has a poorly done subpanel. 3 wires feed 2 20a breakers. A few years ago i unbonded the neutral and add a ground bar and a ground rod.

Would that account for my high impendance readings? (approx 175 ohm).?
    If your test path was a good extension cord plugged into something that is bonded at the supply end plus the steel conduit in question, then your steel conduit is not electrically continuous nor is there an alternate low resistance path back to the point where that cord was connected.

quite honestly, I'd rather see the neutral bonded then to leave it like it is regardless of what code might say, an ungrounded conductor faulting to EGC will raise voltage on everything connected to it and is not low enough resistance to cause enough current to flow and open an OCPD.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.