Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looped Distrbution circuits

Radial vs. Looped

Quote Originally Posted by mbrooke View Post
    Want some guidance and opinions on any one of these... real world experience also welcome.
    1. What are the advantages of looping distribution feeders from other substations instead of neighboring feeders originating from the same substation? Assume ties are run normally open.
    2. Advantages/disadvantages of looping with feeders from other substations and operating all reclosers (tie reclosers) in a normally closed state.
    Radial lines are simple, overcurrent devices are in series, protection can be fuses. System cost is kept lower. The disadvantage is that faults can create large outages.

Looped lines, even a simple loop, increase fault current, lower voltage drop, but require automated switching devices for restoration. The advantage is higher reliability but at much higher cost and complexity. You have to be willing to pay higher rates for higher reliability.
    e^(i pi) = -1

Quote Originally Posted by beanland View Post
    Radial lines are simple, overcurrent devices are in series, protection can be fuses. System cost is kept lower. The disadvantage is that faults can create large outages.
    Same can be done with looped circuits, taps can still be fused.

Looped lines, even a simple loop, increase fault current, lower voltage drop, but require automated switching devices for restoration. The advantage is higher reliability but at much higher cost and complexity. You have to be willing to pay higher rates for higher reliability.

True if the tie point is run normally closed.
    I'm in over my head...

Quote Originally Posted by mbrooke View Post
    FUN? No. Did not see that one.
    http://innovation.ukpowernetworks.co...ember+2016.pdf
    The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated.

Thank you
    I'm in over my head...