Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Compliant or Not

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Compliant or Not

I got a good laugh from this and let's base our answers on the 2017 NEC

Last edited by Dennis Alwon; 10-09-18 at 06:33 PM.
    They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
    She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
    I can't help it if I'm lucky

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    do you have the question that goes with it?

How to judge it may depend on what is trying to be illustrated.

Does say not to scale, but also has limited dimensions marked on it, but dimensions may not be quite so critical to the question that goes with it.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Compliant. The 11" section is wall counter space, and is governed by the "over 12 inch" rule. No outlet needed there. The peninsula rule is very confusing. As a homeowner, I would want an outlet in the 36" area (the peninsula's connecting wall). But my (mis)reading of the code tells me it is not required, given the outlet at the edge.
    Charles E. Beck, P.E., Seattle
    Comments based on 2017 NEC unless otherwise noted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The receptacle outlets are bigger than the chair. I'd like to purchase me some of those for times when the drywall guy cuts the box hole an extra inch around all sides , and they don't even bother to tape any of the opening they just made in the wall...... So please provide a link to that supplier.
    85deg. an Sunny today.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    As a homeowner, I would want an outlet in the 36" area (the peninsula's connecting wall). But my (mis)reading of the code tells me it is not required, given the outlet at the edge.
    I would ignore the 3' peninsula width and apply normal spacing rules to the 47" wall space.
    Code references based on 2005 NEC
    Larry B. Fine
    Master Electrician
    Electrical Contractor
    Richmond, VA

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMO, Charlie is correct. The peninsula is now considered to be at the wall not the connecting edge as before. Since the code requires one for the peninsula then the one at the end covers that. The fact that the island is 3' wide does not matter. Now we have an 11" counter that does not require a receptacle and of course there is the range.

An entire 4' of what I would call counter is not required to have a receptacle. I can say this-- This is the NC formal interpretation of this. Here is the actual drawing from the state

Last edited by Dennis Alwon; 10-09-18 at 06:35 PM.
    They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
    She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
    I can't help it if I'm lucky

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Alwon View Post
    IMO, Charlie is correct. The peninsula is now considered to be at the wall not the connecting edge as before. Since the code requires one for the peninsula then the one at the end covers that. The fact that the island is 3' wide does not matter. Now we have an 11" counter that does not require a receptacle and of course there is the range.

An entire 4' of what I would call counter is not required to have a receptacle. I can say this-- This is the NC formal interpretation of this. Here is the actual drawing from the state

And I agree with them when it comes to changes in 2017 regarding peninsulas, though I would put at least one receptacle on the wall above the counter in that space anyway.

The far right receptacle (not above a counter) I don't totally agree with them, if that were a living room receptacle- they are correct, if it were a dining room, breakfast room, etc. it can be on a circuit that also serves the kitchen counters, at very least must still be a SABC.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    The far right receptacle (not above a counter) I don't totally agree with them, if that were a living room receptacle- they are correct, if it were a dining room, breakfast room, etc. it can be on a circuit that also serves the kitchen counters, at very least must still be a SABC.
    Their wording is poorly written. But I think they are describing the 6' / 12' rule for receptacles in wall spaces. They are saying that a wall receptacle that is within 12 feet of a countertop receptacle does not comply with the rules. They are not saying anything about how the receptacle is powered.

Charles E. Beck, P.E., Seattle
    Comments based on 2017 NEC unless otherwise noted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought living room, dining room, etc... it needed to be within 6 feet of peninsula... to cover twelve foot rule... originally thought it was twelve feet of last kitchen socket, but was taught that the kitchen was all special circumstance and had nothing to do with first circuits in rooms away from kitchen such as dining room or living room.
    Student of electrical codes. Please Take others advice first.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamjamma View Post
    I thought living room, dining room, etc... it needed to be within 6 feet of peninsula... to cover twelve foot rule... originally thought it was twelve feet of last kitchen socket, but was taught that the kitchen was all special circumstance and had nothing to do with first circuits in rooms away from kitchen such as dining room or living room.
    We used to count a receptacle above the counter as part of the 6-12 rule, but I seem to recall changes in recent years that doesn't allow you to count that receptacle above counter as part of the 6-12 rule anymore, did not look into this before posting so maybe not quite right, but seem to recall seeing either Mike Holt images or IAEI images used to illustrate this rule. Of course such images are author's interpretation, but both mentioned are fairly credible sources for such a thing.