User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Downsizing wire

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by karn View Post
    I found the nameplate, apparently it only draws 44 apms, I may be able to use a number 8 now even if it is on a 60amp breaker?
    What is the connected load? If 44 amps and a continuous load, 44x1.25=55 amps - need 6 AWG and can protect at 60 amps. If you have less load you can lessen the conductor ampacity and the overcurrent protection. 60 amp internal breaker is to protect the unit more so than to protect your field wiring.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want all of my installations to not only meet but to exceed the code, the first store I installed this item by mounting a handybox extension ring to the entry way, and cut out the appropriate size hole to match the box extension, this was still quite a challenge with #6 thhn, on the second one I installed I had to do the same thing except I used 266 strand #6 mtw, it wasn't much easier, I see In the code book type pfah/tfe wire rated for 73 Amps at #10 awg, but also unsure if I could use this wire to connect to the unit, I'm just trying to figure a way to install this without have to do surgery on the unit or cobb something together that looks tacky

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I seem to recall one I once connected was a lot like what you have there, limited space and KO's in the access cover

I can't remember if I needed 6 AWG, probably only needed 8 or 10 AWG, because it seems I got both line and load conductors into a 3/4 flex, and ran to a aux gutter (was conveniently located) but you could just go to a junction box then split to wherever necessary. By doing that I could run just one EGC to make it a little less crowded. Seems I didn't have a load neutral either, which helped some - but look carefully, if both your neutral terminals are jumped together only one conductor needs to be run to the unit, which will lessen the crowding a little. Also the neutral possibly can be smaller sized depending on what load is connected to it - also will help with crowding.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found the nameplate, apparently it only draws 44 apms, I may be able to use a number 8 now even if it is on a 60amp breaker?

I mean it is literally impossible to spread 4 #6 out of a 3/4 inch connector the required distance to connect to the terminals that are about a half inch from the connector, very poor design,
    Did you read the manual?
    Page 27. https://www.vertivco.com/globalasset...l-sl-23194.pdf
    It recommends #6 and the terminal block will take. #6-#4.
    Tim
    Master Electrician
    New England
    Yesterday's Technology at Tomorrow's Prices

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It did not come with any manual but I did call the manufacture and they recommended #6, but now I see it shows the 'recommended size' but doesn't specify a minimum

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tkb View Post
    Did you read the manual?
    Page 27. https://www.vertivco.com/globalasset...l-sl-23194.pdf
    It recommends #6 and the terminal block will take. #6-#4.
    Does it tell you how to cram them into what little space they allowed for it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It did not come with any manual but I did call the manufacture and they recommended #6, but now I see it shows the 'recommended size' but doesn't specify a minimum
    Gee, it took me about one minute to find a manual online with the model number.

I would say that the recommended size IS the minimum size.
    Tim
    Master Electrician
    New England

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    Does it tell you how to cram them into what little space they allowed for it?
    I doubt that it is designed for building wire.
    These are designed for the IT world, and they usually use all cord and plug connections.

If you look in the manual, you will see all of the output connection options available and they all are cord and plug.
    Tim
    Master Electrician
    New England

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was very tedious, and I had to flip the unit up on it's face to get some good leverage, but I was able to make some very tight bends in the #6 and cram it in a very tight space, then had 'muscle man' cram the cover on while I put the screws in it

I now find out the manufacture makes an extension box to fit the back of this unit, although when I called tech support they mentioned nothing about it