User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: How much weight on top of underground conduit?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Tampa, FL, USA
    Posts
    1,933
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    How much weight on top of underground conduit?

    I'm currently working on running 1" PVC underground conduit to a new above ground pool installation. The conduit needs to emerge at the far end of the pool and the straight shot takes the conduit under the pool. The conduit will be 18" down. There will be pavers installed under the pool.

    Is there any reason I should not run under the pool?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Fl
    Posts
    17,426
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Read 680.10

    Roger
    Moderator

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    26,375
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roger View Post
    Read 680.10

    Roger
    Rob

    Moderator

    All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Tampa, FL, USA
    Posts
    1,933
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roger View Post
    Read 680.10

    Roger
    Thanks

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    NE Nebraska
    Posts
    38,866
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    680.10 isn't about how weight on the raceway will affect it, though it is something that must be complied with.

    the weight per square foot of the base of the pool isn't as much as one might think though.

    Someone correct me if I am wrong, but wouldn't 40 inches deep water in the pool exert 40 inches of water column equally across the entire bottom of the pool? I also believe you would likely apply more force to the conduit if you used a mechanical compaction machine when backfilling the trench then this static load would ever exert on it.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Fl
    Posts
    17,426
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    680.10 isn't about how weight on the raceway will affect it, though it is something that must be complied with.

    the weight per square foot of the base of the pool isn't as much as one might think though.

    Someone correct me if I am wrong, but wouldn't 40 inches deep water in the pool exert 40 inches of water column equally across the entire bottom of the pool? I also believe you would likely apply more force to the conduit if you used a mechanical compaction machine when backfilling the trench then this static load would ever exert on it.
    And with all that said 680.10 answers this question "Is there any reason I should not run under the pool?"

    Roger
    Moderator

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Jamaica and london
    Posts
    1,113
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, isnt it 680.11, which says it should not be under pool unless required by... and if so must be under the 300.5 cover depths requirements, so that is what, 18 inches under the pool after compaction? not too much into it but in my own code book it is 680.11
    Student of electrical codes. Please Take others advice first.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Fl
    Posts
    17,426
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamjamma View Post
    Hmm, isnt it 680.11, which says it should not be under pool unless required by... and if so must be under the 300.5 cover depths requirements, so that is what, 18 inches under the pool after compaction? not too much into it but in my own code book it is 680.11
    In the 2017 NEC it is 680.11 before that it is 680.10

    Roger
    Moderator

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Jamaica and london
    Posts
    1,113
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My bad..should have looked at my other code book as well, then.
    Student of electrical codes. Please Take others advice first.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    NE Nebraska
    Posts
    38,866
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roger View Post
    And with all that said 680.10 answers this question "Is there any reason I should not run under the pool?"

    Roger
    Wellll, maybe I should looked more carefully, seen the burial depth chart right away and never really read the text that carefully.

    How deep before you can say it is no longer under the pool - once past the core of the earth?
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •