extension cords

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grouch1980

Yes. (and one other possible hookup is prohibited: a power strip plugged into a power strip is forbidden.)

I got it all. Now, would the Fire Department or an inspector prohibit this installation (power strip with its own power supply cord and attachment plug)? i assume they can't since UL allows this.

mgookin

Extension cords can't be used for other than temporary power such as holiday decorations. (NFPA 1 - Fire Prevention Code)

Power strips are allowed if they have integrated OCPD.

If you get a power strip with the integrated circuit breaker you're fine. It can only be used with the cord it comes with plugged directly into an outlet.

You can't run an extension cord and then plug the power strip into the extension cord.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
I agree as well, as soon as our local FD saw a power strip at a desk supplied by an extension cord it would be relocated and replaced with a chapter 3 wiring method.

Been there, done that many times.

Yep. No extension cords to feed power strips. If the cord is long enough no.problem. fire marshal thing, you do what he says if you know what's good for you.

MD84

Why do many power strips have the key holed mounting arrangements on the back?

I would think this would be intended to slide over a screw head in order to fasten the power strip to a surface.

ADub

Occupation
Estimator/Project Manager
Oops
eda3d392ba5e965a2a554bab27b8a0ad.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Why do many power strips have the key holed mounting arrangements on the back?

I would think this would be intended to slide over a screw head in order to fasten the power strip to a surface.
Those are there to be used in the manufacturing assembly process only. Federal law forbids them from use by the consumer in the US. I heard they were legal to use in Canada though.

wireman

Inactive, Email Never Verified
got it iwire. sorry, i posted before i saw your response.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing, just trying to follow along.
From the 2011 NEC: "110.3(B) Installation and Use. Listed or labeled equipment shall be installed and used in accordance with any instructions included in the listing or labeling."

What instructions does the plug strip need to have to make it not comply with the NEC?

Somewhere awhile back I think someone said the violation was because this the ground wire went through two plugs back to the receptacle in the wall. The example they used was that if was a violation to plug two extension cords together to make a longer run, and they were considering the plug strip as the 2nd extension cord.

Thanks in advance for any replies.
I

iwire

Staff member
I did after I wrote my reply.

So, what about the use of irons that when first plugged in were not code violations but would be by today's NEC standards? Can they be permissively used until they are unplugged?

:p

:D

Nothing last that long now, problem solved

jumper

Status
Not open for further replies.