Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: NC Dept of Insurance Official Interpretations

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Posts
    33,715

    NC Dept of Insurance Official Interpretations

    If anyone wants a copy of NCDOI official interpretation of some commonly disputed sections in the 2017 NEC then click on the link below. I advise you to download it into word and the links should work. The links just take you to other areas of the document. Move your mouse to the link then use ctrl and click to activate the link.

    NCDOI Formal Interpretation
    Last edited by Dennis Alwon; 10-10-18 at 03:34 PM.
    They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
    She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
    I can't help it if I'm lucky



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    26,008
    Dennis that's for the 2017 NEC? I think that you had a typo in your post.
    Rob

    Moderator

    All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Posts
    33,715
    Quote Originally Posted by infinity View Post
    Dennis that's for the 2017 NEC? I think that you had a typo in your post.
    Why didn't you fix it? lol

    Thanks I got it
    They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
    She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
    I can't help it if I'm lucky



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    26,008
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Alwon View Post
    Why didn't you fix it? lol

    Thanks I got it


    I found this question and answer interesting:

    Question 2:
    If a metal underground water pipe is used as part of an electrode system and is supplemented with a ground rod, is another grounding electrode required to supplement the supplemented ground rod?

    Answer 2:
    No. The requirement of section 250.53(D)(2) requires one supplement electrode of a type chosen from sections 250.52(A)(2) through (A)(8), in which a rod is listed in section 250.52(A)(5).
    Both the water pipe and the rod must comply with the installation requirements of section 250.53(A). Because the water pipe and the rod make two electrodes, each supplement the other; thus, 250.53(A)(2) is satisfied.
    Rob

    Moderator

    All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    6,921
    Quote Originally Posted by infinity View Post


    I found this question and answer interesting:
    Question 2:
    If a metal underground water pipe is used as part of an electrode system and is supplemented with a ground rod, is another grounding electrode required to supplement the supplemented ground rod?

    Answer 2:
    No. The requirement of section 250.53(D)(2) requires one supplement electrode of a type chosen from sections 250.52(A)(2) through (A)(8), in which a rod is listed in section 250.52(A)(5).
    Both the water pipe and the rod must comply with the installation requirements of section 250.53(A). Because the water pipe and the rod make two electrodes, each supplement the other; thus, 250.53(A)(2) is satisfied.
    Oooo. I LIKE it.
    Another Al in Minnesota

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    26,008
    Not sure how a water pipe is supplementing a single ground rod when the water pipe gets changed to plastic.
    Rob

    Moderator

    All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Posts
    33,715
    Quote Originally Posted by infinity View Post
    Not sure how a water pipe is supplementing a single ground rod when the water pipe gets changed to plastic.

    It's not, in fact, the rod is really only supplementing the water line specifically for that reason. When the electrode becomes plastic then the rod is still there. So technically if they change the copper pipe to plastic then one should have to add another rod.
    They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
    She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
    I can't help it if I'm lucky



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    26,008
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Alwon View Post
    It's not, in fact, the rod is really only supplementing the water line specifically for that reason. When the electrode becomes plastic then the rod is still there. So technically if they change the copper pipe to plastic then one should have to add another rod.

    Exactly that's why I disagree with their response to the question unless the single rod is 25 ohms or less.
    Rob

    Moderator

    All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Posts
    33,715
    Quote Originally Posted by infinity View Post
    Exactly that's why I disagree with their response to the question unless the single rod is 25 ohms or less.
    The install is correct but there seems to be a disagreement as to the explanation. Is that how you see it.
    They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
    She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
    I can't help it if I'm lucky



  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    NE (9.1 miles @5.07 Degrees from Winged Horses)
    Posts
    10,052
    I thought we’re werent supposed to worry about future ‘what ifs’ ? We would never get done.
    Tom
    TBLO

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •