General contractor

Status
Not open for further replies.

arrail.thomas

If a customer is adding on to there home but needs some outlets added or rehab is there a need to pull an electrical permit if customer says they will be doing it themselves?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
If your customer pulled a bldg. permit for the addition then they need an electrical permit for the electrical work being done, even if it's only a couple of receptacles. IMHO

user 100

Dallas,tx

I believe in Dallas a homeowner can pull a permit (from your desc I'm pretty sure what the ho will be doing here needs a permit- irregardless of if they believe it's necessary:) ) for doing electrical work themselves on their own home. I'm certain that they cannot pay someone as "hired help" on permitted work. Any extra info on what they are doing exactly?

Your customer really needs to talk to Dallas to be sure.

Last edited:

arrail.thomas

I believe in Dallas a homeowner can pull a permit ( I'm pretty sure what the ho will be doing here needs a permit- irregardless of if they believe it's necessary:) ) for doing electrical work themselves their own home. I'm certain that they cannot pay someone as "hired help" on permitted work. Any extra info on what they are doing exactly?

Yes HO can pull but i believe they will restrict HO from doing electrical, HVAC, or plumbing because of licenses issue etc... The HO text me and said they are rehabing a home and ask that i give a quote to do my part, but im about to pass the business along because im only a journeymen.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I believe in Dallas a homeowner can pull a permit (from your desc I'm pretty sure what the ho will be doing here needs a permit- irregardless of if they believe it's necessary:) ) for doing electrical work themselves on their own home. I'm certain that they cannot pay someone as "hired help" on permitted work. Any extra info on what they are doing exactly?

Pretty much the same in Colorado. All electrical work needs to be permitted and inspected. HO can pull his own permit to do his own work on his own house. Licensed electricians are not allowed to work under HO permits.

user 100

Yes HO can pull but i believe they will restrict HO from doing electrical, HVAC, or plumbing because of licenses issue etc... The HO text me and said they are rehabing a home and ask that i give a quote to do my part, but im about to pass the business along because im only a journeymen.

To put this to bed-

Chapter 56 Dallas electrical code

81.3- Performance of electrical work by homeowner-

(A) Electrical work on homestead premises-

"A homeowner may personally install electrical conductors or equipment on homestead premises owned and occupied by the owner if the owner files approved plans and specifications with the chief electrical code administrator.......

Hope this helps.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.