Shower lighting surface mounted ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ritelec

I don't think I've ever seen a surface mount fixture in a shower or over a tub.
Always recessed.

I thought the fixture in the shower had to be rated for it but upon reading looks like it isn't shower rated but rated for wet locations.

Because of the framing down lights won't work. Surface mount fixtures rated for wet location should be acceptable , right?

Thank you.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
That is correct. Halo and other companies make a fixture that looks like the trim of a recessed can that is wet location rated and fits into a deep octagon or a deep plastic nail on round.

Over a certain height the fixture only needs to be damp location rated.

ritelec

Thanks Dennis. I'll look Into that fixture. I'll no better tomorrow but a may need a true surface fixture as I might have to use a pancake box.

ritelec

Another post came up about gfci protection on shower/bathtub lighting.

Some mentioned recessed fixtures need not be gfci protected.

What about surface mounted or this box mounted appears to be recessed but surface mounted fixture.

Do surface mount need gfci?

Kwired wrote this so I'm thinking recessed or surface mounted is not required to be gfci protected.

"There is no NEC requirement for GFCI protection of lighting fixtures associated with showers or bathtubs. There are restrictions on types of luminaires permitted in those areas as well as luminaires that may have instructions that require GFCI protection in certain conditions. Those instructions primarily seem to exist with bathroom exhaust fans and fan/light combination units though."

ritelec

As per 410.10 (D)

Are scons wall mounted fixtures permitted in a shower/ tub area ?

Would seam that they ARE.

thank you

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Of course, there are many varieties on Google.

Like this:

images

Bathroom_Light023_DJFss.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.