Thread: Fire Pump Breaker Supply Cables

Fire Pump Breaker Supply Cables

I've not been able to find anything specifically allowing this in the NEC section 695 or 700. But it also doesn't seem to disallow it. I would like to get an opinion one way or the other.

I'm replacing a switchboard that must maintain the existing footprint and no new conductors will be run. Utility service coupled to transformers, then the switchboard (Main-Tie-Main) and in the existing switchboard, the fire pump breaker is located in the same section as the service disconnect breaker.

Maybe that flew back in the day when this was built, maybe because it's a military base they just did what they wanted. I know it doesn't fly now and the fire pump breaker needs to be in its own section ahead of the main disconnect.

Except that the footprint and location of the stubs would require the fire pump cables to travel through section 2 (the new main disconnect section) and out of the bottom.

Is that allowed? Or do I need to start thinking of another solution?

Quote Originally Posted by Vrtig0 View Post
    Except that the footprint and location of the stubs would require the fire pump cables to travel through section 2 (the new main disconnect section) and out of the bottom.

Is that allowed? Or do I need to start thinking of another solution?
    So these conductors are the load side of the fire pump disconnect?
    Rob

All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

There are conditions, such as a campus style distribution with redundant separate source utilities, where load side feeders are acceptable.

In your case, you are likely subject to the current code. Replacing a service is a significant upgrade. Have you talked to an AHJ?

Quote Originally Posted by infinity View Post
    So these conductors are the load side of the fire pump disconnect?
    Yes, these are the cables from the breaker, out of the gear, to the fire pump.

Quote Originally Posted by publicgood View Post
    There are conditions, such as a campus style distribution with redundant separate source utilities, where load side feeders are acceptable.

In your case, you are likely subject to the current code. Replacing a service is a significant upgrade. Have you talked to an AHJ?
    It's not a load side feeder. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

The only thing that's different from a standard installation is that the load side cables from the fire pump breaker to the fire pump would need to exit the switchboard in section 2 and not in the same section as the fire pump breaker.

In an attempt to be more proficient at the code are you referencing 695.3(A)(1)?