User Tag List

Thread: Needing help wiring up a 480V, two lamp quartz heater

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Needing help wiring up a 480V, two lamp quartz heater

I have never wired one of these up and the instructions are very vague. The "print" that came with this shows a 3 phase, three lamp system. I am only using 2 phases (A and B) to feed this as the old heater was fed that way. Consulted my dad, a life long electrician, but it is not working. I currently have phase A hooked to the same end of both lamps, and phase B hooked to the other end of both lamps. No heat is being generated, did not blow fuses and sending 480 to the light assembly. Any one out there know for sure how this is supposed to be connected? Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not without more information.

-Hal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wyopokesfan View Post
    I have never wired one of these up and the instructions are very vague. The "print" that came with this shows a 3 phase, three lamp system. I am only using 2 phases (A and B) to feed this as the old heater was fed that way. Consulted my dad, a life long electrician, but it is not working. I currently have phase A hooked to the same end of both lamps, and phase B hooked to the other end of both lamps. No heat is being generated, did not blow fuses and sending 480 to the light assembly. Any one out there know for sure how this is supposed to be connected? Thanks!
    Since a quartz heater is a purely resistive load you should be able to trouble shoot this fairly easily. The resistance of each lamp should be equal. The cold resistance will be quite a bit lower than the hot resistance, but there will still be a significant resistance there. If you have to you can hook the two up in series and check voltage drop across the first and then the second they should be equal. All that said, the first thing is to make sure there is a resistance across the quartz lamp. It sounds to me like they are open first instinct. No reason 480 volts with current draw isn't causing them to heat.

I know what I don't know, and I know where to go to find it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I figured it out

Thought they needed to be connected in parallel, but the assembly came from the factory with one #1 Lead and one #2 lead on the same end, which was not consistent with the drawing it the manual (both #1's on one end, both #2's on the other end). I got it working. Thanks and have a great day!