Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Service conductors inside a building

Quote Originally Posted by Anon1 View Post
    Ah that's a bummer. He was the most active contributor to the thread. I wasn't trying to be a jerk, just trying to get him to support his statements.

To be fair, the original issue was that the inspector said that NO service conductors were ever allowed inside a building and quoted 230.6 as his source. In this instance it is black and white. That isn't at all what that section says and he is wrong. He never said anything about cable length inside the building. All the stuff about 230.70 was brought up by others later in the thread. That's not to say that I didn't follow them down the 230.70 rabbit hole too, cuz I did. I just enjoy the debate.
    I would measure the length of the service conductors in question, and then measure the shortest length they could have been run.

The reasonable length of the service conductors falls between those two measurements and is a judgement call from the authority. The inspector has the authority to determine what is reasonable based on site conditions. The inspector made that determination. And has a code bases to say the length of the service conductors inside of a building need to be limited to less than you thought was reasonable in his/her judgement

As a rule of thumb around here we say 3 to 5 feet. And have the authority to allow a different length under consideration of specific site conditions

Quote Originally Posted by Anon1 View Post
    So let me put it this way: if the inspector has no issue with the 8' length of the vertical mast inside the building, then he CAN'T have an issue with the interior length of the 7' mast correct?
    No matter where you are at in this world there is unfortunately one factor to remember... Inspectors have all the authority their bosses give to them and when you make them mad everything you do, no matter how correct, is wrong to them.
    So, you cannot say to the inspector that he is wrong... you can however ask him to explain to you how you can change it, given the circumstances, to make him happy.
    I mean, I was once given a traffic ticket by a police officer who in court admitted that he saw my light quit working and pulled me over more for where I had pulled out from than for the light, but the light gave him an excuse to search my vehicle... I still lost, because, believe it or not, I changed the light at the spot he pulled me over at, from my toolbox in the trunk... so therefore according to the judge I must know I had a problem with the vehicle... the fact I had just been fixing the lights on a friends vehicle and had the spare bulb in the box did not matter to the judge who just about charged me with contempt of court... Dinwiddie almost had themselves a visitor for a few days that day...lol

Anyway, like I showed you, the NEC may agree to there not being a violation yet the local POCO and the local AHJ decide that there is, because their local codes have something against it, or it just does not look right. So, it is unfortunately, as the handbook said, up to the AHJ, not us!
    Student of electrical codes. Please Take others advice first.

Quote Originally Posted by Adamjamma View Post
    No matter where you are at in this world there is unfortunately one factor to remember... Inspectors have all the authority their bosses give to them and when you make them mad everything you do, no matter how correct, is wrong to them.
    So, you cannot say to the inspector that he is wrong... you can however ask him to explain to you how you can change it, given the circumstances, to make him happy.
    I mean, I was once given a traffic ticket by a police officer who in court admitted that he saw my light quit working and pulled me over more for where I had pulled out from than for the light, but the light gave him an excuse to search my vehicle... I still lost, because, believe it or not, I changed the light at the spot he pulled me over at, from my toolbox in the trunk... so therefore according to the judge I must know I had a problem with the vehicle... the fact I had just been fixing the lights on a friends vehicle and had the spare bulb in the box did not matter to the judge who just about charged me with contempt of court... Dinwiddie almost had themselves a visitor for a few days that day...lol

Anyway, like I showed you, the NEC may agree to there not being a violation yet the local POCO and the local AHJ decide that there is, because their local codes have something against it, or it just does not look right. So, it is unfortunately, as the handbook said, up to the AHJ, not us!
    The AHJ and the inspector are not the same thing fyi.
    Ethan Brush - East West Electric. NY, WA. MA

"You can't generalize"

Quote Originally Posted by jumper View Post

If I was a CA inspector I wouldn’t hesitate to pass your install
    That would be before your employer brainwashes you of common sense
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Quote Originally Posted by electrofelon View Post
    The AHJ and the inspector are not the same thing fyi.
    If the inspector works for the AHJ, then isn’t it then basically the same? You mY be able to go over his or her head but what happens the next time you need inspections there?
    I mean, I am pretty sure he is not arguing with a home 8nspector for a real estate company...lol
    Student of electrical codes. Please Take others advice first.

Quote Originally Posted by Adamjamma View Post
    If the inspector works for the AHJ, then isn’t it then basically the same?
    Not in every instance, a police officer does not make the laws, he inforces them, the same as an inspector inforces the rules made by the AHJ.

Roger