Thread: outside panel/meter pedestals for residential

outside panel/meter pedestals for residential

in another post they were talking about the Meter Panel combination units like I saw on my grandfathers home on California. Never saw those in the east coast areas that I lived in, so forgive me if this question sounds stupid.

An architect friend sent me a drawing for a prospective client he has. The entrance would have the meters, top fed, in a group, and would be four meters for the property, three rental units in one building. Because of the property itself, this is located on a retaining wall and the owner would like to have the panels disconnected at this wall before running to the panels inside the various residences, along with his own security panel here for the outside lights and hallway/stairs circuits. Thus it is three apartments and one common panel.

Are there tall pedestals that could do this with the meters facing one direction and the panels approximately seven feet below them facing the other direction, before running through underground raceways into the building? Or am I just easier to do this as I normally would, with external panel boxes and breakers?

Owner is a fireman, and lived for a while in the USA in a trailer while he was in college, so wants the apartments able to be disconnected at one spot, even though the local code of practice would be to feed from the meters to the individual units.
    Student of electrical codes. Please Take others advice first.

Name:  00p0p_lXfYtYerCAj_600x450.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  16.4 KB

You would have to build what you have described. Otherwise something in the pic may be as close as your going to get.

Ok.. thought so. Thanks. Its funny. In USA I remember 200 amp services as having square meter boxes. In Jamaica the 100 amp services are square but 200 amp services are around the size of a panel box..wish I had the picture of it... Yet the insides all look the same between the two, just bigger box. Last time I was in the states in Georgia went looking and all the meter boxes still look the same... not sure why the difference. but you can physically tell if a house in Jamaica has a 100 or 200 amp service meter installed, without slowing down.
    Student of electrical codes. Please Take others advice first.

The enclosure size is based (no pun intended) on conductor bending-space allowance.
    Code references based on 2005 NEC
    Larry B. Fine
    Master Electrician
    Electrical Contractor
    Richmond, VA