Thread: GE panel tandem

GE panel tandem

How many tandem THQP breakers can be installed in the lower portion of a GE panel?

I will be double checking the actual panel later this weekend but I figured I would reach out to my peers.

Appreciate your time

What's the panel catalog number it will usually have some relevant information regarding tandem breakers. Or you can look at the label on the panel door.
    Rob

All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

In the case of these breakers, it's however many physically fit. The stab has a different design and the breaker will not install if it's not that type of stab.

A quick look at the GE website suggests that they stick to the old 42 circuit maximum. They have panels with 16, 24, and 32 (1") spaces with varying capability for half size breakers. You need to know more details.

Thank you all for your input.

If you have a 20-40 panel then you can have all of them as the wafer breakers. Ge does not have tandems but they have the thin wafer breakers. They have a 32-40 or 30-40 which means just the bottom 4 or 5 on both sides can have the wafers.

BTW, it is always the bottom slots that take the wafers unless it is a 20-40 panel.
    They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
    She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
    I can't help it if I'm lucky

GE twins have proprietary stabs to plug into, so if the panel is not set up for them they are not going to work.

This is a little off topic but I have a curious question for you guys. In a lot of the different places I've been to across the US I've noticed that GE breaker panels are MUCH more common and popular than in southern California. Not that they don't exist here, they're just not real common. Am I wrong or is GE common in your areas?

I personally despise GE and Square D residential panels. Not that they aren't quality products, just that their designs lead to so many unnecessary problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Anon1 View Post
    This is a little off topic but I have a curious question for you guys. In a lot of the different places I've been to across the US I've noticed that GE breaker panels are MUCH more common and popular than in southern California. Not that they don't exist here, they're just not real common. Am I wrong or is GE common in your areas?

I personally despise GE and Square D residential panels. Not that they aren't quality products, just that their designs lead to so many unnecessary problems.
    Both are common in VA and MD, but Sq.D QO vs Homeline was more popular IME.

Cutler Hammer CH is also popular.

GE would be third.
    "Electricity is really just organized lightning." George Carlin

Derek