Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Branch MC Layout Question

Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min without traffic from winged horses.
    Quote Originally Posted by mstrlucky74 View Post
    I did but pipe hr are allowed. So wouldn't you run hr pipe with the 6ckts to the area then branch out with MC? Id think so m

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    I already answered that.....
    Quote Originally Posted by ActionDave View Post
    I would run pipe and pull HRs, but you said it was all MC.
    If you don't think too good, don't think too much.

I would run a conduit home run to a J-box them MC from there.

Have you considered how labor intensive running all MC home runs would be vs conduit? Not to mention an ugly mess.
    I never allowed my electricians run MC home runs, unless special conditions or permission.
    Under special conditions we would use Home Run MC cable....but it's very expensive

If you have any doubts, wheel that run off using conduit home run/MC...then wheel it off using all MC

In fact, do that and tell us the results

Quote Originally Posted by cdslotz View Post

Have you considered how labor intensive running all MC home runs would be vs conduit? Not to mention an ugly mess.
    I never allowed my electricians run MC home runs, unless special conditions or permission.
    Under special conditions we would use Home Run MC cable....but it's very expensive

If you have any doubts, wheel that run off using conduit home run/MC...then wheel it off using all MC

I agree..would not run mc homerun

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by cdslotz View Post

Here is a fine example of how this move to no shared neutrals makes things more costly than they should be.

Back in the day I could run a 1/2" emt, pull nine HRs and branch out from there. Now I have to run two pipes or run one oversized pipe with oversized conductors because of derating.

As much as I am a fan of conduit for HRs I'm sure I could install three runs of 12/2/2 for less total cost.

Here is a fine example of how this move to no shared neutrals makes things more costly than they should be.

Back in the day I could run a 1/2" emt, pull nine HRs and branch out from there. Now I have to run two pipes or run one oversized pipe with oversized conductors because of derating.

As much as I am a fan of conduit for HRs I'm sure I could install three runs of 12/2/2 for less total cost.
    You mean 3/4”. Pretty sure you cannot put twelve #12 (9 hots, 3 noodles, use EMT as EGC) in a 1/2” conduit.
    "Electricity is really just organized lightning." George Carlin

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by jumper View Post
    You mean 3/4”. Pretty sure you cannot put twelve #12 (9 hots, 3 noodles, use EMT as EGC) in a 1/2” conduit.
    Actually I meant six circuits and up to nine wires in a 1/2". Either way it came out wrong but still points up the fact that no shared neutrals is stupid and inefficient.

Actually I meant six circuits and up to nine wires in a 1/2". Either way it came out wrong but still points up the fact that no shared neutrals is stupid and inefficient.
    Agree.

Derek

Thats a good point so NOW with no shared neutrals and 6 1P 20a ckts it's a 1" pipe with 6 hots 6 neutrals and 1G or like you said, (3) 12/2/2's MC cable HR. Only thing is spec always says we have to pipe out of panel so I'd run a 10' stick up and out of closet to box.

Quote Originally Posted by mstrlucky74 View Post
    Thats a good point so NOW with no shared neutrals and 6 1P 20a ckts it's a 1" pipe with 6 hots 6 neutrals and 1G or like you said, (3) 12/2/2's MC cable HR. Only thing is spec always says we have to pipe out of panel so I'd run a 10' stick up and out of closet to box.
    That works.

Personally I would pipe to the area and then branch off, but I do not estimate so I got no real clue about pricing.

Derek