Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: tap tap tap!

Quote Originally Posted by Coppersmith View Post
    They appear to be replacements for the tops of the lugs inside the meter can that allow the attachment of a tap conductor. I've never seen the tap done inside the meter can but I can't think of a reason you couldn't do it.
    One reason would be if the AHJ will not allow it; none around here will.

They appear to be replacements for the tops of the lugs inside the meter can that allow the attachment of a tap conductor. I've never seen the tap done inside the meter can but I can't think of a reason you couldn't do it.
    Now that I've thought about it, one type of tap I see routinely in the meter can is a surge protector. The leads are just placed under the same lug as the feeders. That has always struck me as a violation, but it's allowed by the inspectors.

Quote Originally Posted by ggunn View Post
    One reason would be if the AHJ will not allow it; none around here will.
    Is there a code section that disallows it?

Is there a code section that disallows it?
    I don't know, but all the AHJ's around here won't let you do it (tap inside their meter can).

I don't know, but all the AHJ's around here won't let you do it (tap inside their meter can).
    is it the AHJ or the POCO? In Jamaica the POCO wants me to run separate wires up the mast for each meter, in their own conduits.. so they can cut off the power away from the meter can because of theft...
    Student of electrical codes. Please Take others advice first.

One reason could be that they are enforcing a POCO spec because they know that it will not get energized.

Dominion VA allows nothing in theirs beyond standard service conductors and in VA, the inspector calls POCO to energize after inspections, so basically if one tried to land the GEC in the meter base, legal per NEC, you still fail as you will not get power from POCO.
    "Electricity is really just organized lightning." George Carlin

Derek

which is funny because in Jamaica, even though the meter is placed in a concrete post with rebar in the post, and usually on a property concrete boundry fence with rebar in the fence foundations, you must run a conduit and a ground wire to the meter, the meter may not be bonded to the rebar in any way, and the Poco tests to make sure that the meter is separate from the rebar with a meter... have had to repair a post where they chiseled to the rebar to place their meter lead to it... If I want to support the meter box to the rebar as part of the concrete pouring process I have to use insulated means of support... The ground spike used for grounding the meter cannot be joined to the fence rebar or to the house rebar...

I think they are wrong but that is how they want it done, even at a house where their transformer is grounded right at the pole beside the meter... We had to move the ground rod ten feet away from the POCO ground rod for the pole before they were satisfied with their meter reading....lol
    Student of electrical codes. Please Take others advice first.