Thread: Question on 2014 edition 210.19(a)(4)(c)

Question on 2014 edition 210.19(a)(4)(c)

I am studying for a test and came across this tapping rule in the codebook. I am trying to wrap my head around it and was hoping to find a graphic or something to help me see the real world use that it has, if any. Could someone help me understand it? TIA

Well, that Exception does not apply to the loads listed in Table 210.2. It also does not apply to the cooking appliances described in 210.19(A)(3). Finally, it is talking about an "individual outlet" that is not a receptacle outlet. That does not leave much that it could apply to.

I don't understand the need for this article or this Exception. Perhaps someone else can make this make sense. In the meantime, however, I would suggest spending less time on this item and more time studying other things.
    Charles E. Beck, P.E., Seattle
    Comments based on 2017 NEC unless otherwise noted.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    Well, that Exception does not apply to the loads listed in Table 210.2. It also does not apply to the cooking appliances described in 210.19(A)(3). Finally, it is talking about an "individual outlet" that is not a receptacle outlet. That does not leave much that it could apply to.

I don't understand the need for this article or this Exception. Perhaps someone else can make this make sense. In the meantime, however, I would suggest spending less time on this item and more time studying other things.
    I could not figure out what exception applies to for the life of me.
    "Electricity is really just organized lightning." George Carlin

Derek

Thank you! Glad I'm not the only one.

Almost reads like a catch-all.

I'll take a shot at it,,,,

It is an exception that allows smaller than 14AWG in the following outlets--Non-receptacle, non-cooking appliance and those not listed in table 210.2--meaning any outlet other than those can use smaller than 14AWG

If it is one of those then it has to be 14AWG or larger. (feeling really smart--ok now go ahead and shoot holes in this folks!!
    RichB N7NEC