Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 39

Thread: MV Pulls

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    23,816
    Quote Originally Posted by mstrlucky74 View Post
    So how does one determine where splicing/pull points would take place in a pull. FOr instance on the attached it's a 900' run with three manholes and bends. THe routing is in bluee.
    Do the contract documents permit a splice. I wouldn't permit one if I were writing the specs.
    Don, Illinois
    (All code citations are 2017 unless otherwise noted)

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    2,271
    Quote Originally Posted by don_resqcapt19 View Post
    Do the contract documents permit a splice. I wouldn't permit one if I were writing the specs.
    I think so. I'll ask. How could you possibly make those pulls(800' and 3-4 90's) without a splice?

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Placerville, CA, USA
    Posts
    19,745
    Quote Originally Posted by mstrlucky74 View Post
    I think so. I'll ask. How could you possibly make those pulls(800' and 3-4 90's) without a splice?
    You can use one or more intermediate pull points without splicing. You just need room to lay out the wire at each intermediate point.

    Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    2,271
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldDigger View Post
    You can use one or more intermediate pull points without splicing. You just need room to lay out the wire at each intermediate point.

    Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Ok. How much room would you need of you were pulling in 12 sets of 3#500's but I'm also guessing you would never pull in 12 sets at.once obviously. How many sets would be practical to pull in at once? Thx.

    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,404
    Go out to the warehouse and try to bend 500mcm then think of 3-4 of them laying on the ground, also being MV they will be stiffer and weighs more.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Michigan. It's a beautiful penninsula, I've looked around.
    Posts
    10,111
    "We are pulling 3 #500 5kv cables plus 600v ground in each conduit."

    I'm glad I am not on the crew that has to pull that.
    Cheers and Stay Safe,

    Marky the Sparky

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    2,271
    Quote Originally Posted by K8MHZ View Post
    "We are pulling 3 #500 5kv cables plus 600v ground in each conduit."

    I'm glad I am not on the crew that has to pull that.
    Why is that?

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Michigan. It's a beautiful penninsula, I've looked around.
    Posts
    10,111
    Quote Originally Posted by mstrlucky74 View Post
    Why is that?
    Sounds like a very though pull through 4" PVC. One pull consists of 2000 lbs of CU, or 1000 lbs. of AL. Like someone suggested, get some of the stuff in your hands and see how easy if bends.
    Cheers and Stay Safe,

    Marky the Sparky

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    2,271
    Quote Originally Posted by K8MHZ View Post
    Sounds like a very though pull through 4" PVC. One pull consists of 2000 lbs of CU, or 1000 lbs. of AL. Like someone suggested, get some of the stuff in your hands and see how easy if bends.
    Yeah I hear ya. Thanks . BTW one set would be pull at a time correct?

    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Michigan. It's a beautiful penninsula, I've looked around.
    Posts
    10,111
    Quote Originally Posted by mstrlucky74 View Post
    Yeah I hear ya. Thanks . BTW one set would be pull at a time correct?

    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    I would start with one pull and watch the pulling force. If the tuggers can pull more than twice that amount, I would move up to two sets.

    Old PVC is not fun to pull through.

    We pulled about 400" 350 mcm copper MV shielded cable through 6" RMC with only a couple 90's and it was brutal.
    Cheers and Stay Safe,

    Marky the Sparky

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •