Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: MV Pulls

Quote Originally Posted by K8MHZ View Post
    I would start with one pull and watch the pulling force. If the tuggers can pull more than twice that amount, I would move up to two sets.

Old PVC is not fun to pull through.

We pulled about 400" 350 mcm copper MV shielded cable through 6" RMC with only a couple 90's and it was brutal.
    Thanks. So these pulls could be real difficult potentially? Just because they will go slow?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Michigan. It's a beautiful penninsula, I've looked around.
    Quote Originally Posted by mstrlucky74 View Post
    Thanks. So these pulls could be real difficult potentially? Just because they will go slow?

Absolutely.

Sometimes there is no good place to set up tuggers on the pull side, and often no close place to set up reels on the feed side. The pulls can bind up half way through and max out the tuggers or the heads will pull off. I have seen the chains holding tuggers down burst under the force of the pull.

The difference between how much it costs for a crew that has done large pulls and just a group of electricians that have never done it can make or break the pull.
    Cheers and Stay Safe,

Marky the Sparky

I think so. I'll ask. How could you possibly make those pulls(800' and 3-4 90's) without a splice?
    It is a common practice for contractors that know what they are doing. I have done many over 1200 though underground ducts and manholes.
    Don, Illinois
    (All code citations are 2017 unless otherwise noted)

Quote Originally Posted by K8MHZ View Post
    Absolutely.

Sometimes there is no good place to set up tuggers on the pull side, and often no close place to set up reels on the feed side. The pulls can bind up half way through and max out the tuggers or the heads will pull off. I have seen the chains holding tuggers down burst under the force of the pull.

The difference between how much it costs for a crew that has done large pulls and just a group of electricians that have never done it can make or break the pull.
    Wow incredibly valuable info. If this is outside and mostly wide open don't see an issue with setting up the tuggers.

Quote Originally Posted by don_resqcapt19 View Post
    It is a common practice for contractors that know what they are doing. I have done many over 1200 though underground ducts and manholes.
    So important I guess to have guys who have done these pulls before. Wouldn't just a foreman who has done these type of pulls before suffice as he would direct the men?

Nothing beats experience, one poor guy ? RUNNING from manhole to manhole to manhole because radios don't work if the people your talking to don't understand what your saying due to lack of experience.
    You do know that wire weighs 1lbs./1'+, right?
    You need ~3 guys at the reels, guys at the manholes, guy on the chugger, guy slapping the goo, one of the men need to know how to make a head.
    Now the head comes out of the first manhole what do you do?
    How clean do you need to keep the wire?
    Do you have all the pulling gear needed?
    Manholes full of water, need pumps and generators?
    Manholes have trays, what route to take at each manhole?
    Got your ppe/ safety gear, sniffer, cpr guy?

So important I guess to have guys who have done these pulls before. Wouldn't just a foreman who has done these type of pulls before suffice as he would direct the men?

Just a foreman that knows will work, but it is better to have guys that know too.

Don't forget all of the non-productive man hours that will be required for the confined space entries into the manholes. Also note that some owners do not permit manhole entry if any of the existing medium voltage conductors are energized.
    Don, Illinois
    (All code citations are 2017 unless otherwise noted)

Quote Originally Posted by don_resqcapt19 View Post
    Just a foreman that knows will work, but it is better to have guys that know too.

Don't forget all of the non-productive man hours that will be required for the confined space entries into the manholes. Also note that some owners do not permit manhole entry if any of the existing medium voltage conductors are energized.

Thanks. No wire in any of the dut banks/manholes.