Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Strings straight to inverter

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Glen bunie, md, us
    Posts
    101

    Strings straight to inverter

    I have three strings in parallel. String 1 has 20 modules, string 2 has 30 modules and string 3 has 40 modules. String 1 circuit goes straight to inverter. String 2 circuit goes straight to the inverter and so does string 3 i.e there is NO combiner. Each module voc is 9V.

    Inverter input voltage rated for 600V dc. String 1 voc is 180V, string 2 voc 270V, steing 3 voc is 360V. Which string voltage would be used to determine the final voltage to compare against inverter rated input voltage based on code?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    4,685
    I hope those strings are connected to separate MPPT inputs.

    I'm confused about your question vis-a-vis the code. I think it is merely an issue of following listing instructions. I'm not aware of what NEC requirement is at play here, other than the highest voltage would be used for max voltage

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Cherry Valley NY, Seattle, WA
    Posts
    4,813
    What kind of modules are these? If you havent done so, you just need to check that each string is within the inverters voltage window, VMP at hottest temp, and VOC at coldest temps. Use a string sizing tool.
    Ethan Brush - East West Electric. NY, WA. MA

    "You can't generalize"

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia
    Posts
    23,693
    How can mismatched voltages be paralleled?
    Code references based on 2005 NEC
    Larry B. Fine
    Master Electrician
    Electrical Contractor
    Richmond, VA

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Cherry Valley NY, Seattle, WA
    Posts
    4,813
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryFine View Post
    How can mismatched voltages be paralleled?
    That is why JB asked if they were to separate MPPT's. Inverters typically have several different inputs that are independent so they can take different voltages. If that is the case, using the term "parallel" isnt really the correct term.
    Ethan Brush - East West Electric. NY, WA. MA

    "You can't generalize"

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Glen bunie, md, us
    Posts
    101
    Quote Originally Posted by jaggedben View Post
    I hope those strings are connected to separate MPPT inputs.

    I'm confused about your question vis-a-vis the code. I think it is merely an issue of following listing instructions. I'm not aware of what NEC requirement is at play here, other than the highest voltage would be used for max voltage
    MPPT are they also called optimizers and installed at each module?

    Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    4,685
    Quote Originally Posted by hhsting View Post
    MPPT are they also called optimizers and installed at each module?
    Could be, or the inverter could have multiple inputs like electrofelon mentioned.

    MPPT is 'maximum power point tracker', which is a component that finds the voltage at which the solar panels deliver the most power. If multiple voltages are attached to it then it won't work right.

    You really have to follow the specs and instructions on the equipment you're using.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Austin, TX, USA
    Posts
    10,159
    Quote Originally Posted by hhsting View Post
    I have three strings in parallel. String 1 has 20 modules, string 2 has 30 modules and string 3 has 40 modules. String 1 circuit goes straight to inverter. String 2 circuit goes straight to the inverter and so does string 3 i.e there is NO combiner. Each module voc is 9V.

    Inverter input voltage rated for 600V dc. String 1 voc is 180V, string 2 voc 270V, steing 3 voc is 360V. Which string voltage would be used to determine the final voltage to compare against inverter rated input voltage based on code?
    Assuming you are going into three separate MPPT inputs, the highest string voltage corrected for the lowest temperature for the area is the one you use.

    If there is only one MPPT input and if you aren't using optimizers you will need to restring your system so that all strings are the same length and in the same orientation.

    A module Voc of 9.0V seems strange to me, but I haven't seen it all.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    4,685
    One other thing:

    If you're using optimizers then the optimizer output spec is what your string voltage is based on. The module Voc only relates to the optimizer input in that case.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •