Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Here's why drywallers should be licensed

Quote Originally Posted by Coppersmith View Post
    What I'm seeing here is the need for a new product (or somebody making me aware of an existing product) that goes inside boxes and blocks rotozip blades from cutting the wires. I'm thinking friction fit, 1/16" steel, with a little handle in the middle for removal. When installed, it will sit 1/4" back inside the box. Maybe it should have some words printed on too like "Hey drywall dude, you're supposed to cut around the outside of the box, not the inside."

Also, some new contract language is needed such as "each instance where the drywall is not cut correctly around a junction box including: (1) the box being hidden; (2) the box being too deep within the wall; (3) the box being damaged; (4) the wires being damaged; and any other similar occurance resulting in extra time and materials to repair; shall be charged as an extra item."
    Just occurred to me the problem with this product: it will require another trip. Normally after rough-in I would get an inspection and not see the place again until trim time. Since these can't be in place for the inspection, another trip after the inspection for installation will be required. And of course there is the expense of install and removal labor. Why can't drywallers just do a good job?

Quote Originally Posted by Coppersmith View Post
    What I'm seeing here is the need for a new product (or somebody making me aware of an existing product) that goes inside boxes and blocks rotozip blades from cutting the wires. I'm thinking friction fit, 1/16" steel, with a little handle in the middle for removal. When installed, it will sit 1/4" back inside the box. Maybe it should have some words printed on too like "Hey drywall dude, you're supposed to cut around the outside of the box, not the inside."

Also, some new contract language is needed such as "each instance where the drywall is not cut correctly around a junction box including: (1) the box being hidden; (2) the box being too deep within the wall; (3) the box being damaged; (4) the wires being damaged; and any other similar occurance resulting in extra time and materials to repair; shall be charged as an extra item."
    You are looking for Metalgard protect plates made by Cooper Industries, or box plates made by Garvin. Keeps all of the drywallers tools and mud out of the boxes. When I did low voltage, I always took a piece of good quality duct tape and taped across the cables to prevent paint and drywall mud from getting on the cables and terminations, and to keep the RotoZip from hitting the cables which easily spring out and cannot be folded into the back of the box.

if you are working with non-metallic cable, coax, or Cat5e, leaving a small loop outside of the box is a very good idea.

As for the contract language, that looks pretty good, tho the boxes that are set too far back are really on you and not the drywallers. And I would include that per NEC code 314.21, there cannot be gaps more than one eighth of an inch at the edge of the box, and it's up to the drywallers to ensure that they comply with this with proper cutting or finishing.

You may also want to include a clause that any walls or studs that are removed with an electrical box and or wiring attached must be brought to your attention immediately before said changes are made... Did a hotel in Rock Hill about 10 years ago where they changed the interior layouts of a few suites and handicap rooms, the framers simply took a Sawzall and cut out all of the framing, as well as our ENT flush with the floor and ceiling.

I believe the gentleman I was working for at the time included all of the above under a section in his contract with the owner called "damages from other trades, others" which not only covered drywallers, but framers, plumbers, any other workers there, as well as acts of vandalism, sabotage, theft, and so-called acts of God.
    Last edited by JFletcher; 11-08-18 at 07:00 PM.
    Electricians do it until it Hertz!

In a direct comment regarding the subject line, I do my OWN drywall work when needed as an electrician. I'm not going to go get another license...

Licensing just gives someone else a cut, in exchange for some semblance of legitimacy and recourse. Let the market decide if it's worth it to the client. The best painters and drywallers I know are unlicensed, and I don't hesitate to recommend them.

Quote Originally Posted by JFletcher View Post
    .... and so-called acts of God.
    God might send you to Hell for your sins, but he would never be so mean as to damage perfectly good electrical work.

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    In a direct comment regarding the subject line, I do my OWN drywall work when needed as an electrician. I'm not going to go get another license...

Licensing just gives someone else a cut, in exchange for some semblance of legitimacy and recourse. Let the market decide if it's worth it to the client. The best painters and drywallers I know are unlicensed, and I don't hesitate to recommend them.
    What if the market decides it is worth it to let the drywallers/painters do some of your electrical work?

I have made drywall repairs myself that were necessary because of my electrical work, even if charging electrician rate can still be worth it for some clients as it may be difficult to schedule someone to make small repairs and I can spend a few extra minutes doing it while I am there and may actually cost less than having a second contractor show up just for that purpose. New construction/remodels - different ballgame, drywall/painters are already going to be there, let them do it.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.