Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sheetrock Walls

Quote Originally Posted by mstrlucky74 View Post
    Thanks. So point is hen estimating you should know this so you can properly account for firestopping.
    That would be correct. Went to a job one day and just shook my head when I walked in, wired glass on the outside and two layers of drywall on the inside and the guys had just tore this wall up. I gave them a stop work notice and told them to have the architect tell them how to repair it to get the rating back. So yes, do your homework, it could be a costly mistake.
    I can build anything you want if you draw a picture of it on the back of a big enough check.

There's no substitute for hard work....but that doesn't mean I'm going to give up trying to find one.

John Childress
    Electrical Inspector
    IAEI / CEI / C10
    Certified Electrical Inspector

Thanks. So point is hen estimating you should know this so you can properly account for firestopping.
    Sort of. But this would be backwards. As an estimator you should be aware of what walls are rated, but generally you would do this by finding them designated on the Architectural sheets

I know what I don't know, and I know where to go to find it!

Quote Originally Posted by Strathead View Post
    Sort of. But this would be backwards. As an estimator you should be aware of what walls are rated, but generally you would do this by finding them designated on the Architectural sheets
    Yeas and I alwys look over archs, structural, mech etc. Yes the arch drawings will show all the info for the walls. Just because it's a rated wall doesn't mean it goes past the hung ceiling?

Yeas and I alwys look over archs, structural, mech etc. Yes the arch drawings will show all the info for the walls. Just because it's a rated wall doesn't mean it goes past the hung ceiling?
    I am pretty sure all rated walls go past the suspended ceiling up to the hard deck above.

I cannot see how they could not, but I am no expert by any means.
    "Electricity is really just organized lightning." George Carlin

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by jumper View Post
    I am pretty sure all rated walls go past the suspended ceiling up to the hard deck above.

Quickly reading through this thread from a building code forum:

https://www.thebuildingcodeforum.com...aration.11757/

I am thinking that I may be correct. Sheetrock has to be floor to structural ceiling.
    "Electricity is really just organized lightning." George Carlin

Derek

For sure that makes sense.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Quickly reading through this thread from a building code forum:

https://www.thebuildingcodeforum.com...aration.11757/

I am thinking that I may be correct. Sheetrock has to be floor to structural ceiling.
    I think that it may still depend on what the wall is separating. If there is a "room" which contains a fire hazard that requires a rated wall, that room could be topped by a "rated ceiling" and maintain the required protection. But as a practical matter, rather than build such a rated ceiling, it is easier to let the existing structural ceiling serve that purpose.

No, just because it goes past the hung ceiling doesn't mean it is rated. It will always go past an acoustical ceiling if it is rated.

I know what I don't know, and I know where to go to find it!

Quote Originally Posted by Strathead View Post
    No, just because it goes past the hung ceiling doesn't mean it is rated. It will always go past an acoustical ceiling if it is rated.
    That's correct, many time's in a corridor you'll have a suspended ceiling, but just above that you'll have a hard lid, because the created a tunnel.
    I can build anything you want if you draw a picture of it on the back of a big enough check.

There's no substitute for hard work....but that doesn't mean I'm going to give up trying to find one.

John Childress
    Electrical Inspector
    IAEI / CEI / C10
    Certified Electrical Inspector