Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PUll Scenario

Quote Originally Posted by GoldDigger View Post
    Not "bust" through exactly.
    The sidewall friction during the pull, which can be quite substantial in a long heavy pull, generates heat at a rate proportional to the wire pull speed. This heat can be great enough, even at slow pull speeds, to melt through the PVC 90. A metal 90 will not melt, may have a lower coefficient of friction, and will additionally be able to dissipate the heat better into the soil.

To simply break the PVC 90 would generally require more tension than is allowed for the wire or cable being pulled.
    I know you said “may” so I am not directly disagreeing by any means.

Now, for some reason I think, intuitively mind you, that the drag coefficient for metal 90 may be slightly worse, but the other reasons you state offset that value.

I need to look this up.
    "Electricity is really just organized lightning." George Carlin

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by JFletcher View Post
    140 hours???

Does that include a week-long trip to Tahiti for two of the guys?

The estimate sounds way off, and it may have something to do with you multiplying a single cable pull by 6 rather than pulling in sets.

Mstrlucky74, next time you get a chance, go out in the field with the electricians and see how some of the stuff is actually installed in the field. Looking at spreadsheets or estimating software is not going to be nearly the help of some practical experience.

Even if someone answered that 140 hours is dead on, or that they did an identical pull last week with four guys in 8 hours (32 man hours), those figures aren't really going to help you do your job.
    I checked his numbers.....140 man/hrs is right on the money.
    Perhaps you should do some research on labor units and what they include other than the actual labor of pulling the cable.

Quote Originally Posted by cdslotz View Post
    Perhaps you should do some research on labor units and what they include other than the actual labor of pulling the cable.
    I do know... actual install is maybe 60% of unit, then layout, material handling, lost time. drawing study etc.

Quote Originally Posted by mstrlucky74 View Post
    I do know... actual install is maybe 60% of unit, then layout, material handling, lost time. drawing study etc.

I was directing this to JFletchur.

Your numbers are correct

Quote Originally Posted by cdslotz View Post
    Point taken, however I was not figuring just pulling time.
    Electricians do it until it Hertz!