Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: PUll Scenario

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    2,278

    PUll Scenario

    So have 2- 4” PVC conduits interior of bldg.. is RGS but only small portion) w/ 3#500 5kv cables in each going from service building gear on 2nd floor to substation #1 on grade. Total point to point footage of run is 300’. So it’s 300’x3 cables x 2 runs= ~ 1800’ of total wire.

    I assume the reels would be setup on grade at the substation as you would not get them on 2nd floor of enclosed building. So tugger would be setup on 2nd floor?
    How would you setup your crew to do this pull? How many men on each end. Thinking total crew would be about 6 guys.
    When I take what we have for labor per thousand for 1/C #500 I get about 140 hours total to pull these 2 sets. So if it was 6 men at 8 hours each that would be 48 hours per day so about 3 days to do the run. Now if the amount of men is different from 6 then obviously the duration of the pull changes.

    Any thought on the # of men and how long to do this pull? Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    867
    Quote Originally Posted by mstrlucky74 View Post
    So have 2- 4” PVC conduits interior of bldg.. is RGS but only small portion) w/ 3#500 5kv cables in each going from service building gear on 2nd floor to substation #1 on grade. Total point to point footage of run is 300’. So it’s 300’x3 cables x 2 runs= ~ 1800’ of total wire.

    I assume the reels would be setup on grade at the substation as you would not get them on 2nd floor of enclosed building. So tugger would be setup on 2nd floor?
    How would you setup your crew to do this pull? How many men on each end. Thinking total crew would be about 6 guys.
    When I take what we have for labor per thousand for 1/C #500 I get about 140 hours total to pull these 2 sets. So if it was 6 men at 8 hours each that would be 48 hours per day so about 3 days to do the run. Now if the amount of men is different from 6 then obviously the duration of the pull changes.

    Any thought on the # of men and how long to do this pull? Thanks.
    I would let them figure it out when I get the job.........why do you worry about all the different scenarios?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    phoenix az
    Posts
    173
    well the purchaser would look at it as 1800' but its still just (2) 300' runs. the main problem is estimating really depends on actually seeing what you have, not what it looks like on civil sheets (or what ever sheets those are). I also see a man hole on the side of a hill, which could change a lot. if there are no exterior walls, id certainly boom fork those rolls up to the second floor- use gravity when possible!!! it still should get done in one day... there wouldn't happen to be a huge pulling box on the first floor, would there?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    2,278
    Quote Originally Posted by rambojoe View Post
    well the purchaser would look at it as 1800' but its still just (2) 300' runs. the main problem is estimating really depends on actually seeing what you have, not what it looks like on civil sheets (or what ever sheets those are). I also see a man hole on the side of a hill, which could change a lot. if there are no exterior walls, id certainly boom fork those rolls up to the second floor- use gravity when possible!!! it still should get done in one day... there wouldn't happen to be a huge pulling box on the first floor, would there?
    thank you. No it's not a pullbox.

    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    867
    Look....I haven't checked your units, but you should learn to trust your units and if they seem too low or too high, consult someone in your shop.
    If this pull is a major part of the overall scope of work, then brainstorming with your forman is warranted.
    However, if this is just another pull in a project with a lot of feeders, you should be fine.
    I have found that feeder pull labor is the easiest labor code to beat in the entire job. I really don't know why, but it's always been that way.
    I think it comes down to having good people that have planned and considered the pull prior to routing of conduit and pull locations. By the time they actually do the pull, it's easy and efficient

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Williamsburg, VA
    Posts
    5,710
    140 hours???

    Does that include a week-long trip to Tahiti for two of the guys?

    The estimate sounds way off, and it may have something to do with you multiplying a single cable pull by 6 rather than pulling in sets.

    Mstrlucky74, next time you get a chance, go out in the field with the electricians and see how some of the stuff is actually installed in the field. Looking at spreadsheets or estimating software is not going to be nearly the help of some practical experience.

    Even if someone answered that 140 hours is dead on, or that they did an identical pull last week with four guys in 8 hours (32 man hours), those figures aren't really going to help you do your job.
    Electricians do it until it Hertz!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    23,816
    If there are any PVC 90s in the run, I would decline the job.
    Don, Illinois
    (All code citations are 2017 unless otherwise noted)

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    2,278
    Quote Originally Posted by JFletcher View Post
    140 hours???

    Does that include a week-long trip to Tahiti for two of the guys?

    The estimate sounds way off, and it may have something to do with you multiplying a single cable pull by 6 rather than pulling in sets.

    Mstrlucky74, next time you get a chance, go out in the field with the electricians and see how some of the stuff is actually installed in the field. Looking at spreadsheets or estimating software is not going to be nearly the help of some practical experience.

    Even if someone answered that 140 hours is dead on, or that they did an identical pull last week with four guys in 8 hours (32 man hours), those figures aren't really going to help you do your job.
    Thanks

    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    2,278
    Quote Originally Posted by JFletcher View Post
    The negative comments the original poster has received on this thread are completely ridiculous. If people feel he is unqualified to be on this forum, that is what the report post to moderator tool is for.

    berating members in public or questioning their qualifications has been against form rules since its Inception or as long as I have been here.

    I know the original poster asks a lot of questions on this forum, the responses on this thread, a very public one, may have something to do with why our trade is declining. In my not-so-humble opinion, answer the man's question, or move on, the negativity is completely unproductive.
    Quote Originally Posted by don_resqcapt19 View Post
    If there are any PVC 90s in the run, I would decline the job.
    Why is that? Potential to bust through?

    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Placerville, CA, USA
    Posts
    19,751
    Quote Originally Posted by mstrlucky74 View Post
    Why is that? Potential to bust through?

    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Not "bust" through exactly.
    The sidewall friction during the pull, which can be quite substantial in a long heavy pull, generates heat at a rate proportional to the wire pull speed. This heat can be great enough, even at slow pull speeds, to melt through the PVC 90. A metal 90 will not melt, may have a lower coefficient of friction, and will additionally be able to dissipate the heat better into the soil.

    To simply break the PVC 90 would generally require more tension than is allowed for the wire or cable being pulled.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •