Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Advertising

Quote Originally Posted by Saturn_Europa View Post
    I had a rep for the Better Business Bureau call me yesterday. He said my business name has come up in their website searches a few times. It would be around $40 a month to be a member with them. That seems a little steep.
    Quote Originally Posted by hbiss View Post
    BBB does you nothing except $$$ gets you a better rating if you are a member. Some people think that a BBB rating means something though. There are others who think that a complaint to the BBB will do something.
    Most people regard BBB as a neutral arbiter of business reviews. Whether this is true or not is immaterial. I have a paid lower tier listing with BBB. They sell two tiers of listings. The lower tier gets you in the long alphabetical list of electricians. The higher tier gets you a spot on top of the listings. Occasionally (not often), I will get a call from a someone who went to BBB looking for a recommendation and called me because of it. I have been contemplating paying for a higher tier listing but it is about $1,200 a year (probably varies by area) which I think is expensive.

What is more valuable about a BBB listing is the rating which you can post in your advertising. My BBB A+ rating is featured prominently on the top of my website. I suspect a lot of people see that and get a good feeling about me without ever going to BBB's site to check my reviews. And BBB will make every effort to protect you from dishonest (and some honest) bad reviews.

I tried to post a bad review about an out-of-town company that did not pay me for my services. BBB would not let me post the review since "not getting paid" was not one of the valid bad review categories. If someone does post a bad review, you are given an opportunity to correct the situation which fixes any ding to your rating. You can also post a reply to the bad review.
    Last edited by Coppersmith; 10-27-18 at 09:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Coppersmith View Post
    higher tier listing but it is about $1,200 a year
    I forgot to say this is in addition to the monthly fee I'm already paying.

Quote Originally Posted by Saturn_Europa View Post
    Who do you host your website with? Is it expensive? Did you put it together yourself?

I had a rep for the Better Business Bureau call me yesterday. He said my business name has come up in their website searches a few times. It would be around $40 a month to be a member with them. That seems a little steep.
    we recently started website

but what I meant was that search has been finding me near top for several years now, people were calling and saying they found me on the internet, even though I didn't know I was on the internet, even tho I didn't have a website or do anything for seo

I assume comes from public records, business license and such, but always suspected that my listing in phone book contributed

google "electrician in Clarkesville, Georgia" or "Habersham County, Georgia"
    Dave Ruth
    Ready Electric

Do a little reading about SEO (search engine optimization). You will find your yellow pages ad has nothing to do with it. Here's a link to a useful website about that: https://moz.com/search-ranking-factors

If you pay Google for advertising as I do (lead services, not adwords), you will always be at the top of the listings.
    so why am I at or near top without paying?
    Dave Ruth
    Ready Electric

Do a little reading about SEO (search engine optimization). You will find your yellow pages ad has nothing to do with it. Here's a link to a useful website about that: https://moz.com/search-ranking-factors

If you pay Google for advertising as I do (lead services, not adwords), you will always be at the top of the listings.
    a few years ago I ran circuit for UPS for geek-type person

He tried to sell me website and seo stuff

I asked him where he got my name

He said googled on internet

So what did I need him for?
    Dave Ruth
    Ready Electric

Quote Originally Posted by readydave8 View Post
    I assume...
    Have you not Googled your business and seen exactly what comes up and from where?

Quote Originally Posted by readydave8 View Post
    so why am I at or near top without paying?
    IDK. Are you the only electrician in Clarkesville?

IDK. Are you the only electrician in Clarkesville?
    since "R" low in alphabet been around 20th many years

some must be gone, looked in yellow pages and see me #14 of 16
    Dave Ruth
    Ready Electric

Have you not Googled your business and seen exactly what comes up and from where?
    no been too busy answering phone and doing service calls
    Dave Ruth
    Ready Electric

When I started my own business I made post cards, Vista Print, took the local paper on Sunday morning looking for properties that recently transferred ownership, entered the address in Excel spreadsheet and printed mailing labels mailed them the cards.

I had about a 6% success with this method.
    Norb
    My Boss is a Tyrant and my Employee is an Idiot.