Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Advertising

Quote Originally Posted by 1793 View Post
    When I started my own business I made post cards, Vista Print, took the local paper on Sunday morning looking for properties that recently transferred ownership, entered the address in Excel spreadsheet and printed mailing labels mailed them the cards.

I had about a 6% success with this method.
    6% is very good. That said, people are programmed to ignore or avoid advertising. They don't know who to trust. This is why word-of-mouth referrals work so well. If you ask a friend, family member, coworker, other tradesman, etc. for a recommendation, you're very likely to trust that recommendation. Networking groups take advantage of this by enthusiastically recommending other members in the group and having their business cards on hand to give out. It's also a very inexpensive form of advertising.

Home Adviser

Just got a cold call from Home Adviser. Anyone ever work with them. He said the lead fees were $20.

Good God stay away. Them and Angie's List. They all should be in jail.

-Hal

Quote Originally Posted by hbiss View Post
    Good God stay away. Them and Angie's List. They all should be in jail.

-Hal

That bad!?!?

LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Saturn_Europa View Post
    Just got a cold call from Home Adviser. Anyone ever work with them. He said the lead fees were $20.
    Can you afford to have $20 extra overhead per job? Some jobs may be well worth it, others, might be 20-50% of total invoice (without their services anyway). They don't guarantee you won't get "deadbeat client" either - one that won't pay the bills or bounces checks, etc, or for that matter send you to a neighborhood you might otherwise want to avoid.

The most desirable clients to work for likely don't go looking for an anonymous contractor they know little about, if they are trying someone new they likely will have found out about you via word of mouth and recommendations from people they do know.

JMO but if I were the one looking for a contractor they would not be high on my list of places to seek a contractor, you don't know what you will get, and any rating system they use is likely easy to get good ratings published if one pays for the rating.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Saturn_Europa View Post
    That bad!?!?

LOL!
    Google them and see for yourself what other contractors have to say. I think Angie actually did just avoid jail time.

-Hal

Google them and see for yourself what other contractors have to say. I think Angie actually did just avoid jail time.

-Hal

Hal, I definitely appreciate the advice. I am not a huge fan of giving my money to crooks.

-Hal
    They are about making money, for however long it is easy to make that money, and don't really care about the homeowner or the contractors. Sort of like matchmaking sites, if you are going to use one proceed with caution, site owner wins whether users win or not.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Found this in a few seconds- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPeh42cfqcc

Hmm, I don't know why the video says it requires payment to watch- I just watched it. Anyway, read the comments.

-Hal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk