208 three phase

Status
Not open for further replies.

domnic

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
If I have a 208 three phase service and have a 10 amp load on A and B on a MWB circuit the neutral will pull 10 amps . what is the trigonometric function for this circuit?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The neutral current, assuming that the phase angles are 120°, is equal to the square root of (a² + b² + c² - (a*b) - (b*c) -(a*c)).

I think the trig function is the law of cosines, but not sure.

Ingenieur

What is mwb?
so
a = 10 ang 0
b = 10 ang 120
c = 0
n = 10 ang x
??
you need an expression to calc c magnitude?

Last edited:

Smart $

Esteemed Member
The neutral current, assuming that the phase angles are 120°, is equal to the square root of (a² + b² + c² - (a*b) - (b*c) -(a*c)).

Yes, it is an application of the Law of Cosines. Your formula is for full boat. For only two loads it reduces to the square root of (a² + b² - (a*b)).

Carultch

The law of cosines is a modified Pythagorean theorem for cases when the angle opposite side c is not 90 degrees.

Instead of the famous a^2 + b^2 = c^2, you have:
c^2 = a^2 + b^2 - 2*a*b*cos(C)

where C is the angle opposite side c.

In our applications, C = 120 degrees, the angle between phases, and its cosine is 1/2. So when C=120 deg, you get:
c = sqrt(a^2 + b^2 - a*b)

This looks familiar for the neutral current (c) corresponding to an MWBC on phases A and B.

Status
Not open for further replies.