CED and QB iif file import

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgookin

We have invoices emailed to us whenever possible. CED has begun to offer those as an iif file that would import directly into QB. Have any of you tried it yet? Does it save any time or paper?

We are a supplier to CED, not a customer, and we get .htm files from them which open in a browser, so I can't speak specific to CED iif files. But it's my experience that those iif files have just never worked out for us, whether from banks, vendors, customers, etc. We have tried it all with no success. We manually enter everything in QuickBooks and it works. I'm sure with the right person behind the keyboard it can be a time saver, but that person is not here! Admittedly we have not tried it in probably 2+ years. Maybe for 2016 we'll give it a retry. I strongly suggest you backup your files before trying it. We did last time and it's what saved us because everything went to mush. An easy restore and we were fine, and that's one thing I will give Intuit credit for is having a good backup/ restore process.

Are you importing iif files today from other sources?

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
I have used the iif before, and it worked, but I was very cautious. Not sure how it will work with a bookkeeper that has a tendency to fly through everything and correct the problem later if one should arise. We are small and there is not a high volume of invoices but on occasion they can be several pages in length. I do not know the amount of detail they will transfer or if it is just a total. I signed up for a test run. We will see.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I have been importing iif files from my two primary supply house for several years. Works well for me and saves a lot of data entry. You can only import iif files into the desktop versions of QB not the online versions.

I didn't know CED offered iif files but haven't purchased much from them the past few years. I still find it unbelievable they they send invoices in htm format instead of pdf formats. At lease half the time the invoice don't format correctly when printing. I also like the ability to save the pdfs to job files.

nhfire77

I have been importing iif files from my two primary supply house for several years. Works well for me and saves a lot of data entry. You can only import iif files into the desktop versions of QB not the online versions.

I didn't know CED offered iif files but haven't purchased much from them the past few years. I still find it unbelievable they they send invoices in htm format instead of pdf formats. At lease half the time the invoice don't format correctly when printing. I also like the ability to save the pdfs to job files.

I feel your pain- Graybar is still sending invoices and statements in .zip files that have to be extracted. Ten invoices are 200kb....why zip that??
Have they not found the control key on their keyboard?

mgookin

I feel your pain- Graybar is still sending invoices and statements in .zip files that have to be extracted. Ten invoices are 200kb....why zip that??
Have they not found the control key on their keyboard?

Because zip files will get past a server which blocks attachments like .doc and .jpg and the like. There are some over zealous IT depts. out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.