Thread: EXH fan thru Lighting Contactor

EXH fan thru Lighting Contactor

Anyone see an issue with controlling a 1/8 hp 120v exhaust fan with a Lighting Contactor?
    I'm suggesting to use a SqD 8903L, rated 20A tungsten/30A fluorescent for this.
    It's primarily used as a restroom exhaust, but the client does not wish to control it with the lighting Occ Sensor ckt. It needs to operate whenever the store (coffee shop) is open.

thanks!

I take it that they want the light/occupancy sensor in the restroom to still operate when the store lights are out? Store lights control when the fan is on?

-Hal

Restroom Lights are on Occ Sensor ONLY. Not thru timer or contactor.
    Exh Fan is controlled thru timer/contactor, along with the Main Store lights.
    I'm just wondering if it's proper to use a 20A Lighting Contactor (i think it's a "definite purpose" contactor) to control a Fan load. Or do we need an interposing "fan-rated" relay for this 5A load.

Is there any other nearby circuit that only operates when the store is open? That you could link the power for the fan from? The idea being that when the other circuit turns on the fan turns on?
    I think in this case the owner wants the fan operating to keep any and all smells from coming into the business rather than using it as simply a timed exhaust of humid air, as in residential bathrooms... so either you put in a timer circuit specific for it or you tap another circuit for its power, such as a hallway light that is always turned off when the business is closed but always on when the business is open...
    Student of electrical codes. Please Take others advice first.

Quote Originally Posted by raberding View Post
    Restroom Lights are on Occ Sensor ONLY...
    Exh Fan is controlled... with the Main Store lights.
    Why would you need a relay? Are the main store lights 277?

Why can't you connect the restroom lights through the occupancy sensor to a always-on circuit? Then supply the fan from the switched lighting circuit?

-Hal

Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min without traffic from winged horses.
    Anyone see an issue with controlling a 1/8 hp 120v exhaust fan with a Lighting Contactor?....
    A lighting contactor is usually a accepted name for a contactor with lots of poles to connect to, it will turn a fan on and off just fine.
    If you don't think too good, don't think too much.

thank you-all for helping on this. I believe that I'm over-thinking something that's really very simple.

A few more details...
    All lights and fan are 120v
    Restroom lights are on Occ Sensor. Really NO operational relationship between fan and restroom lights. They are independent.
    The operational relationship is between STORE LIGHTS and FAN. They are in sync. Controlled by Energy-Code-Required (IECC 2015) timeclock with manual override.

So...I'm just gonna use contacts from the Store Lighting Contactor for this fan.

.simple.

1/8 HP or less is the border line for certain other requirements - particularly disconnecting means requirements.

If you have enough capacity on a light circuit already that will be controlled at same desired time - might even consider adding it to that circuit.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

So...I'm just gonna use contacts from the Store Lighting Contactor for this fan. Simple.
    Why didn't you say that you wanted to use contacts on the existing lighting contactor? That should be fine!

-Hal