Dimming or switching modules - disconnect switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I was wondering about the proper use of box mounted dimming or switching modules in a fixture canopy. If you were to use these new wireless modules to provide dimming and switiching of wall sconces or ceiling luminaires do you need a local switch to turn off power for servicing , changing lamps.
I was looking at a installation. There was a long hallway and the electrician pulled power from available switches or outlets along the hall to provide un-switched power to each new light, then a RF module stuffed into each box where a light was mounted to provide switching from a corresponding RF device.

I think it was a neat install. is it legit because I was concerned that you cannot be sure the power is off to change a lamp or remove a broken one.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Lutron has what they call a "FSS" (front safety switch).
It's just a little pull-out switch that you pull out for maintenance such as changing lamps.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Yes that works when the dimmer is in the switch.
The installation I am speaking of is where there is a remote module placed in the fixture canopy or space in the fixture box itself.
There is no way to get to any air gap or switch in such a case.

Thanks anyway

Were you able to look at the module itself after installation?

What brand module was used and what kind of lighting load is being fed by it?

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Don't know what brand module. Cannot see behind canopy.
I don't think there is a violation.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Yes that works when the dimmer is in the switch.
The installation I am speaking of is where there is a remote module placed in the fixture canopy or space in the fixture box itself.
There is no way to get to any air gap or switch in such a case.

Thanks anyway

The one I was speaking of does go in the canopy. Well the receiver does but it also has a wall control. That's the part with the FSS.

Are you saying the one you have (saw) only has a remote? I have one with both a handheld remote and a wall control. The wall control has the FSS.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Basically no switch, The switch is just wired for power no switch leg.
Could be Zwave or ?

I could not find a violation. I was just thinking of some motion sensors that require a switch to turn off.

Status
Not open for further replies.