Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Staying Busy

Staying Busy

I know this is a vague question, but when is busy too busy?

Has anyone ever been swamped with work and can't seem to find the personnel to help out?
    Don't get me wrong being busy is nice, but so are weekends.

NE (9.1 miles @5.07 Degrees from Winged Horses)
    Quote Originally Posted by EverydayElectrician View Post
    I know this is a vague question, but when is busy too busy?

Has anyone ever been swamped with work and can't seem to find the personnel to help out?
    Don't get me wrong being busy is nice, but so are weekends.
    there have been times I was too busy. Bank it, you will slow up.

Raise your rates and learn to say No are a couple options.
    Tom
    TBLO

There have definitely been many stretches of a few weeks when I was working 7 days a week because I was so busy. I don't like doing that because I value work/life balance. But, I just kept working it because I knew a lull was coming and they always do. This is a cyclic business. The December downturn is coming soon.

Good time to weed out non payers, when possible.

Thankfully I've been slammed with work this past year. I just wish it had happened when my knees were younger. There were several months when I worked 7 days a week, not because I was greedy but because there was that much work that had to be completed in a given amount of time. I'm not one to turn away work but I had to pass on several jobs just because I was too busy to even look at the jobs. On the bright side - I enjoyed going to the bank and going on vacations.

Winter is coming and it's usually my slow time. That's when I'm getting at least one of my knees replaced.

Goldstar, that is the most painful operation I am told good luck.

Ugghhhh, knees....what a horribly designed joint. Im 39, and I dont even want to think about what my knees will be like in 20 years
    Ethan Brush - East West Electric. NY, WA. MA

"You can't generalize"

Quote Originally Posted by goldstar View Post
    Thankfully I've been slammed with work this past year. I just wish it had happened when my knees were younger. There were several months when I worked 7 days a week, not because I was greedy but because there was that much work that had to be completed in a given amount of time. I'm not one to turn away work but I had to pass on several jobs just because I was too busy to even look at the jobs. On the bright side - I enjoyed going to the bank and going on vacations.

Winter is coming and it's usually my slow time. That's when I'm getting at least one of my knees replaced.
    I'm contemplating that. Please keep us apprised. I have a very bad right knee, definitely affects my quality of life, but at 62 it seems a little young as I understand the life of the joint is about 20 years. They are also making big strides in joint surgery, and if I can push it off I might get a better product.

That said, my wife's aunt and uncle have both had replacements. I saw Barb a couple of weeks ago and thought she was going to haul me to the hospital on the spot, that's how enthusiastic she was. Unlike sameguy's observation, no indication that it was all that painful.

NE (9.1 miles @5.07 Degrees from Winged Horses)
    Hips and knees. For some reason a lot of people I know are getting replacements. Almost every one wonders why they waited.
    Tom
    TBLO

Quote Originally Posted by ptonsparky View Post
    Hips and knees. For some reason a lot of people I know are getting replacements. Almost every one wonders why they waited.
    Doctors are generally resistant to replacing knees and hips in people that are in their 30s, 40s, or even early 50s. my uncle has needed new knees since his early 30s, he got his first one done last year, when he was 57. They are also pretty adamant in not doing what amounts to major surgery on people who smoke... It takes a lot longer to heal from such surgeries.

The only definition I have of too busy is having to be in two or more places at one time. When I did commercial communications, we would often have four plus projects going on at one time. There was more than one instance where buildings would start 10 months apart and need their final and/or CoO within weeks of each other. This is not fun when said properties are 600 miles apart.

To slow is far worse for me, though the days where everything falls through are a good time to catch up on paperwork, organize and wash a truck, or go fishing.
    Electricians do it until it Hertz!