inspector joe

Status
Not open for further replies.
in 680.25 (pool feeders) the exception has been removed. so if I understand this right, does it now say that you would not be able to install feeders unless you change your SER from meter disco to panel? see below the part removed.

Exception: :angel:]A feeder within a one-family dwelling unit or two-family dwelling unit between remote panel board and service equipment shall be permitted to run in flexible metal conduit or an approved cable assembly that includes an insulated equipment grounding conductor within its outer sheath. the equipment grounding conductor shall comply with 250.24 (A) (5)

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Here is my take on it. The feeder must be installed in one of the approved methods mentioned in 680.25. An existing feeder with SER does not fit the bill so it would be a violation. The pool panel must originate at the service equipment in this case or you would have to change the wiring method to that panel.

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
I'm confused, why does 680.25 refer to 250.24(A)(5) , groundED conductor on load side , when the whole jist seems to be the insulated groundING conductor.....?

~RJ~

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I'm confused, why does 680.25 refer to 250.24(A)(5) , groundED conductor on load side , when the whole jist seems to be the insulated groundING conductor.....?

~RJ~

The 2014 nec dropped the exception that stated 250.24(A)(5). That was in the nec 2011

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
Den, this reads hard.....my '14 states>

Exception: A feeder within a one family dwelling unit or
two-family dwelling unit between remote panelboard and
service equipment shall be permitted to run in flexible
metal conduit or an approved cable assembly that includes
an insulated equipment grounding conductor within its
outer sheath. The equipment grounding conductor shall
comply with 250.24(A)(5).

My '11 states>

Exception: An existing feeder between an existing remote panel board
and service equipment shall be permitted to run in flexible
metal conduit or an approved cable assembly that includes
an equipment grounding conductor within its
outer sheath. The equipment grounding conductor shall
comply with 250.24(A)(5).

(Bold mine)

~RJ~

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Precisely, and its reprehensible. I guess from now on, I'll wait to buy my new NEC until 07/2017, so they have a chance to finish changing it. It's another example of pubescent behavior from the NFPA - a section that hadn't done anything wrong for years had to be revised midcycle because someone had an idea... :roll:

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
I can see where i was misled (thx Den) .

So if the EGC isolation and durability is the focal issue , can we assume it compliments the equopotential plane?

Perhaps a better feeder ECG helps pre-, as well as post-gfci protection? I had thought it all predicated on proximal detection...?

Anyone up for 5 wire SER here?

~RJ~

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
I can see where i was misled (thx Den) .

So if the EGC isolation and durability is the focal issue , can we assume it compliments the equopotential plane?

Perhaps a better feeder ECG helps pre-, as well as post-gfci protection? I had thought it all predicated on proximal detection...?

Anyone up for 5 wire SER here?

~RJ~

What are you trying to say? I can't make sense of any of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.