Cost books

Status
Not open for further replies.

fireryan

How many of you guys use cost books? I was looking at a 2010 edition just to see what it's all about. Seems to me the labor units are pretty high. Anyone have experiences with these? Good or bad?

mgookin

How many of you guys use cost books? I was looking at a 2010 edition just to see what it's all about. Seems to me the labor units are pretty high. Anyone have experiences with these? Good or bad?

I assume you mean cost estimating books. There are usually regional modifiers.

They may also define how they arrive at the numbers and you may be able to make further modifications to the numbers.

There's software on the market for the same purpose if you prefer a keyboard to reading a book. RS Means is very popular.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
They likely are somewhat similar to the cost books used by mechanics. My brother when he was service manager for a garage said something once like they are for one handed mechanics who only own one screwdriver. Real mechanics can almost always do the job in far less time than the book says. He also said the book is for guys working alone. He said with a little help at certain points you can cut a lot of time out of the job.

mgookin

They likely are somewhat similar to the cost books used by mechanics. My brother when he was service manager for a garage said something once like they are for one handed mechanics who only own one screwdriver. Real mechanics can almost always do the job in far less time than the book says. He also said the book is for guys working alone. He said with a little help at certain points you can cut a lot of time out of the job.

Auto body is similar. They include time for filler to cure, paint to dry, etc. all the while you're working on another billable job. If they work 40 hours in a week it's not uncommon to bill for 50-60.

fireryan

I assume you mean cost estimating books. There are usually regional modifiers.

They may also define how they arrive at the numbers and you may be able to make further modifications to the numbers.

There's software on the market for the same purpose if you prefer a keyboard to reading a book. RS Means is very popular.

Ok I've heard of that one but looks like the subscription fee is pretty hefty. Maybe I'm not understanding the packages right for what I actually need

cdslotz

So I guess the big question is anybody using them?

I don't know of any publication that has electrical data like the above mentioned auto industry.
Except maybe RS Means, which is way high in every category imo....
Are you referring to labor unit books for electrical

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
For service work and minor remodel we use CS2. We have been very happy with it and our sales and revenue gave increased.

mgookin

If you know an insurance adjuster, ask them what they use. They are highly prescriptive.
Don't know an adjuster? Everyone knows an agent. Ask them to give you the name of an adjuster in the area.

Status
Not open for further replies.