arc fault locations

Status
Not open for further replies.

jetlag

My code book is a 2008 and I had questions about arc fault locations . Do any of the following require an arc fault breaker , laundry room circuit, exterior lighting circuit with interior switches , microwave circuit and refrigerator circuit both in kitchen , attached garage lighting and receptacles . Also does any one know of a case where code requires an afci breaker on a circuit that also requires a gfci receptacle ?

kwired

Electron manager
You said your code book is 2008, but didn't say whether 2008 is what applies to your installation.

If 2014 NEC applies, nearly everything you mentioned now requires AFCI, but not all of it did in 2008.

There are more instances of items requiring both GFCI and AFCI protection as well in 2014 then there was in 2008.

jetlag

thanks kwired

thanks kwired

I'm sorry I failed to mention I need to go by the 2014 code . If you will reply again if any of the circuits I listed do not require an afci , it will be helpful . Thanks

kwired

Electron manager
I'm sorry I failed to mention I need to go by the 2014 code . If you will reply again if any of the circuits I listed do not require an afci , it will be helpful . Thanks
2104 NEC 210.12:

(A) Dwelling Units.

All 120-volt, single-phase, 15- and 20-ampere branch circuits supplying outlets or devices installed in dwelling unit kitchens, family rooms, dining rooms, living rooms, parlors, libraries, dens, bedrooms, sunrooms, recreation rooms, closets, hallways, laundry areas, or similar rooms or areas shall be protected by any of the means described in 210.12(A)(1) through (6):

Everything you mentioned in OP but the garage - unless it happens to be on with something in areas mentioned then it will be protected anyway.

Also note that garage receptacle requirements have been added in 2014 that will not allow other outlets on with them, but your lighting in the garage could still be on a circuit that requires AFCI if it serves other areas.

jetlag

thanks kwired

thanks kwired

I made mistake on the garage lights , I let the circuit go to lights in the basement laundry because I thought the laundry was exempt. I could have easily put the laundry lights on the stair circuit . Oh well I wont change it now . I forgot to mention the bath areas , I dont see that listed so I assume they are exempt from afci. Thanks

JDB3

Mike had posted a chart indicating the changes, where AFCI, GFCI, AFCI/GFCI are required. Just had an error (that was corrected) The dishwasher requires both AFCI/GFCI protection.

bullheimer

bathrooms are exempt. that is another reason to save money and have the whole bathroom on one ckt. you can use a regular bkr and just buy one gfi outlet. everything INside the house LIVING AREAS besides that and garage if it's 120V. AFCI/GFI breakers are only about five bucks more. do not buy an AFCI breaker marked Combination bkr because it is only AFCI. while your at it avoid 3 wire home runs at all costs. but really, a 2 pole AFCI is only the same as 2 AFCI single poles. but...i quit using it. up until recently you couldnt find a 2 pole combo afci/gfci bkr in the 15 or 20A range in all manufacters but now i think you can. no afci for attics or crawls either... nor any outside service outlets like for a heat pump. a 120V heater would require it. i hate them but you cant get around them anymore. any number of things can make them trip. they are much better now that when they first came out tho, but they still blow chunks. a ground wire touched the N side of a recept will trip one, that is one thing you can be careful of on trim out. there is a post with a million more things on here that trip them including nothing. oh yeah, the current issue of EC&M magazine has an article on just this. the mag is available online as well although i cant say you can call up that particular article.

jetlag

thanks bullheimer

thanks bullheimer

Thanks for all the info . I didnt even know afic was even required on 240 v circuit . So you are saying the 3 wire circuit to range and dryer will require afci . ? Also do 240v mini splits require afic since the current re-enters the house ?

jetlag

thanksJDB3

thanksJDB3

Mike had posted a chart indicating the changes, where AFCI, GFCI, AFCI/GFCI are required. Just had an error (that was corrected) The dishwasher requires both AFCI/GFCI protection.

Do you know how I can find that chart to save and print it , Thanks

jumper

Thanks for all the info . I didnt even know afic was even required on 240 v circuit . So you are saying the 3 wire circuit to range and dryer will require afci . ? Also do 240v mini splits require afic since the current re-enters the house ?

AFCI not required on 240V circuits.

210.12 Arc-Fault Circuit-Interrupter Protection. Arcfault
circuit-interrupter protection shall be provided as required
in 210.12(A) (B), and (C). The arc-fault circuit interrupter
shall be installed in a readily accessible location.

(A) Dwelling Units. All 120-volt, single-phase, 15- and
20-ampere branch circuits
supplying outlets or devices installed
in dwelling unit kitchens, family rooms, dining
rooms, living rooms, parlors, libraries, dens, bedrooms,
sunrooms, recreation rooms, closets, hallways, laundry areas,
or similar rooms or areas shall be protected by any of
the means described in 210.12(A)(1) through (6):

Status
Not open for further replies.