Thread: Mechanical Room Conduit

Mechanical Room Conduit

Spec reads to provide RGS conduit where subject to mechanical injury. How would you interpret that? Mechanical room? Below a certain footage? Very vague IMO.

IMO parking garage or loading dock might fit the description. Not much else.
    Rob

All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

"Mechanical injury" sounds like another way to say "physical damage". I interpret that to mean that machines in the area like carts, handtrucks, forklifts, lawn mowers, can damage the pipe. Any pipe above the level of those machines is not subject to physical damage.

Quote Originally Posted by mstrlucky74 View Post
    Spec reads to provide RGS conduit where subject to mechanical injury. How would you interpret that? Mechanical room? Below a certain footage? Very vague IMO.
    Submit an RFI, or talk to a local inspector.

mechanical room, not unless the conduit happens to be in the path of the door swing.

You may also have other options, like protecting RPVC emerging from grade outdoors with bollards.
    Electricians do it until it Hertz!

Quote Originally Posted by Coppersmith View Post
    "Mechanical injury" sounds like another way to say "physical damage". I interpret that to mean that machines in the area like carts, handtrucks, forklifts, lawn mowers, can damage the pipe. Any pipe above the level of those machines is not subject to physical damage.
    I agree. it's not really subject to physical (mechanical) damage in an equip or mech room. Now if it were a different room then you might consieder the drop to be rigid and EMT above a certain level, say 8'AFF. It is vague but then again so is the NEC in defining it.

Here's a recent spec that makes what you describe a little more clear. IMO EE's have varying degrees of accountability:

H. Indoor Raceways: Raceways installed indoors shall be thin walled steel tubing,
    zinc-coated, 3/4” diameter, except as noted. Electrical metallic tubing shall not be
    used below 8 feet and where subject to damage."
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Agree guys. "Mechanical Injury" is a first for me. Thanks