Thread: Where to begin

Where to begin

I'm interested in passing the National Master Electrician's exam thru Pearson Vue.
    I've been in the industry for 19 years but my experience with electrical is limited. I've been exposed to mostly single phase, 120/240V work at the light commercial level. We've done a few larger jobs involving 3 phase and installing some single phase XFMR's. But, thats about it.

Looking for input on the best way to become more familiar with the NEC, how to use it efficiently and hopefully pass a test. I wasn't sure if one of the kits that Mike Holt offers would be all that is needed or if someone could recommend some useful classes in the Pittsburgh PA area.

the mike holt books are very useful, Start with the electrical exam preparation study guide to help you uncover what your weak areas are. You may discover you know enough to pass exam.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_B View Post
    I'm interested in passing the National Master Electrician's exam thru Pearson Vue.
    I've been in the industry for 19 years but my experience with electrical is limited. I've been exposed to mostly single phase, 120/240V work at the light commercial level. We've done a few larger jobs involving 3 phase and installing some single phase XFMR's. But, thats about it.

Looking for input on the best way to become more familiar with the NEC, how to use it efficiently and hopefully pass a test. I wasn't sure if one of the kits that Mike Holt offers would be all that is needed or if someone could recommend some useful classes in the Pittsburgh PA area.
    So, with your limited experience, you think you are qualified to call yourself a master electrician IF you pass this test.

I takes years of apprenticeship and journeyman experience to become a true master.
    Tim
    Master Electrician
    New England
    Yesterday's Technology at Tomorrow's Prices

Quote Originally Posted by tkb View Post
    So, with your limited experience, you think you are qualified to call yourself a master electrician IF you pass this test. I takes years of apprenticeship and journeyman experience to become a true master.
    If your plan is to test for a license limited to single phase work, then have at it. Otherwise, I have to agree with tkb. You should instead be seeking a job where you can get more experience in the 3-phase work. My Florida unlimited license requires 12,000 hours of experience, 40% of which is 3-phase work.
    Last edited by Coppersmith; 11-07-18 at 05:20 PM.

Mine in N.Y. Requires 10 yrs. 2yrs. Must be resi..
    Like I told my Doctor friend, " you can call me Master"!, Doctor. We use our first names for some reason.

You guys are a ray of sunshine! First post and you tear him down...……
    Welcome to the forum!
    Sometimes I don't know whether I'm the boxer or the bag.

State Requirements

Find out the requirements for licensing in your state and go from there. 19 years of experience in commercial/residential and transformers is impressive. The test is open book based on the NEC. Take the practice tests in order to become familiar with the layout of the NEC. The answers are in the book. You just need to be able to find them quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by qcroanoke View Post
    Welcome to the forum!
    With friends like these...................
    Yes, I'll be happy to do a first class job for less than anyone else and take a dollar a week for 10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by qcroanoke View Post
    Welcome to the forum!
    He is looking for a shortcut to bypass years of OJT and schooling.
    No mercy.
    Tim
    Master Electrician
    New England
    Yesterday's Technology at Tomorrow's Prices

19 years experience

Quote Originally Posted by tkb View Post
    He is looking for a shortcut to bypass years of OJT and schooling.
    No mercy.
    The guy says he has 19 years of experience in single phase, commercial work, three phase and transformers. This is not sufficient?