Thread: electrical area classification

electrical area classification

hello good day!
    I would like to ask your help in our existing project which is:

We will build a new facility and this will be of a single story pre- engineered metal building of hazardous waste storage with spill containment, toilet, telecommunication room, electrical room, power and lighting system, fire protection system, plumbing and ventilation system which can store a total of 900 drums with 55 gal per drum of used flammable and combustible liquids (no particular liquids has been determined yet).

Can I consider it as class I division 2 as an electrical area classification which is stated in NFPA 70 2017, In which volatile flammable liquids or flammable gases are handled, processed, or used, but in which the hazardous liquids, vapors, or gases will normally be confined within closed containers or closed systems from which they can escape only in case of accidental rupture or breakdown of such containers or systems, or in case of abnormal operation of equipment.

Hope to hear from you the soonest possible time.

Quote Originally Posted by RACHELHOPE View Post
    hello good day!

We will build a new facility and this will be of a single story pre- engineered metal building of hazardous waste storage with spill containment, toilet, telecommunication room, electrical room, power and lighting system, fire protection system, plumbing and ventilation system which can store a total of 900 drums with 55 gal per drum of used flammable and combustible liquids (no particular liquids has been determined yet).

Can I consider it as class I division 2 as an electrical area classification which is stated in NFPA 70 2017, In which volatile flammable liquids or flammable gases are handled, processed, or used, but in which the hazardous liquids, vapors, or gases will normally be confined within closed containers or closed systems from which they can escape only in case of accidental rupture or breakdown of such containers or systems, or in case of abnormal operation of equipment.

You can't consider it classified until you know what the hazard is. Speak with the design team and find out. Then review the corresponding NFPA red book that covers the hazardous liquid/gas/material. It will describe what the limits of classified areas are depending on the hazard and how it is being processed and/or stored.

Quote Originally Posted by drktmplr12 View Post
    You can't consider it classified until you know what the hazard is. Speak with the design team and find out. Then review the corresponding NFPA red book that covers the hazardous liquid/gas/material. It will describe what the limits of classified areas are depending on the hazard and how it is being processed and/or stored.
    I agree. If a leak or spill is deemed to be rare enough you might not even have a classified area.

Paint store - you may have many many gallons of paint that can be hazardous location if they were normally subject to exposing the contents, but maybe only location that actually has a classification is at a mixing station and general storage areas is considered unclassified.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Quote Originally Posted by RACHELHOPE View Post
    hello good day!

In my humble opinion, you have no choice here. You must assume this room is at minimum Class I, Division 2 since you're obviously dealing with storage of hazardous liquids that will be periodically handled as you mentioned. For estimating purposes, you should plan on all components being rated for CID2. All circuitry to arcing devices such as toggle switches, thermostats etc will need to be either factory sealed, hermetically sealed, non-incendive, intrinsically safe or within a Nema 7 enclosures w/conduit seals. Luminaires will need to be reviewed for Division 2 rating.
    And ideally the room should contain a fan that provides 6 air changes per hour (see NFPA 497 para 3.3.1).