Time for mechanic & helper to swap 65 2x4 troffers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JFletcher

How I'd do it: assembly line type work. One or two tasks per man.

First helper to unwire and remove old lights from grid.

Second helper to unbox new lights, punch KOs out, throw away packaging trash and old lights, box up bulbs for recycle if necessary.

Third helper installs support wires (if needed), puts up troffers, pulls wire thru, puts locknut on MC connector/pops-into fixture.

Electrician wires lights, puts in bulbs and covers. When helpers are done with first tasks, one goes to install remaining support wires, second puts troffers in place, third does cleanup/putting ceiling tiles back in place (with clean hands).

Everyone carries new light troffers from truck/conex box to office.

Four men 1-1.5 days - 3 men 1.5-2 days (40-50 hours for ~77 lights), maybe slower if dumpster is a ways from site and there is a bunch of crap on top of grid, probably faster if everyone understands what they are going to do, have the tools and ladders they need. Getting the new lights to the office, getting old ones to trash can could take +/- several hours depending how far you have to go; factor accordingly.

mgookin

While baker scaffold seems quite popular, wheels can be put on regular scaffold too.

shopping

That will get him up there to those 9' fixtures and then some! Maybe change the bulb in the moon while he's up there :lol:

It's always been my understanding that what makes any scaffolding into "Baker's Scaffold" is just putting wheels on it.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
It's always been my understanding that what makes any scaffolding into "Baker's Scaffold" is just putting wheels on it.
I always thought it was because the narrow frame an design somewhat resembles a [baker's] pan rack.

188463.jpg

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I always thought it was because the narrow frame an design somewhat resembles a [baker's] pan rack.
The OSHA documents linked earlier refer to "narrow frame scaffolding [commonly known as] Baker's..."
I think that Baker was the name of a large manufacturer of such scaffolding. Not to be confused with bread racks.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
The OSHA documents linked earlier refer to "narrow frame scaffolding [commonly known as] Baker's..."
I think that Baker was the name of a large manufacturer of such scaffolding. Not to be confused with bread racks.
Can you find any substantial evidence that baker is not referring to a manner of staging similar to how a baker stages his baked goods? I cannot.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Can you find any substantial evidence that baker is not referring to a manner of staging similar to how a baker stages his baked goods? I cannot.

I cannot either. Just a weak implication from the word Baker always being capitalized.

The usage "Baker style" scaffolding supports your idea.

Where OSHA refers to "Baker/Perry scaffolding", on the other hand, the Perry part does in fact refer to one manufacturer

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I cannot either. Just a weak implication from the word Baker always being capitalized.

The usage "Baker style" scaffolding supports your idea.

Where OSHA refers to "Baker/Perry scaffolding", on the other hand, the Perry part does in fact refer to one manufacturer

Reference to Perry is so noted. I might add I noticed a reference in passing that Parry went out of business a few years back. They seem to be most noted for a locking mechanism patent.

However, I can find no evidence that a major scaffolding company with ties to a Baker surname ever existed.

iwire

Staff member
9' ceiling height.

If I was handed this job it would be three guys, two on ladders or baker staging and the third guy supplying the two on ladders or baker.

The third guy would be unwrapping new fixtures, breaking down the old fixtures, removing trash and if the other guys are on baker could push them to the next fixture.

Don't pay to dispose of more then you have to. Recycle.

Save aluminum reflectors, parabolic lens etc. Ballast leads etc.

We replaced a 200 or so 2x4 troughers and just the ballast leads filled a large trash can well wroth bring in for scrap.

iwire

Staff member
Gradall Industries is located about 10 miles from my house. Some may put their name in with other manufacturers of all terrain forklifts, but their claim to fame is really from their excavator design...

http://www.gradall.com/index.php

Well there is something we agree on. In my area an all terrain forklift is called a 'Lull' because that was a popular maker of them in this area. And Gradalls ... well they grade, they do not lift pallets.

Apparently in some areas people call all terrain forklifts 'Gradalls' this is incorrect and must be stopped. :p

Smart $

Esteemed Member
...Apparently in some areas people call all terrain forklifts 'Gradalls' this is incorrect and must be stopped. :p
The first time I heard someone mention a Lull, I said, "What's that?" I've seen several made by Lull since then but had never heard the association before that.

Gradall did make all terrain forklifts for a while. I don't believe they do any more. However, it is still accurate to call an all terrain forklift a Gradall... if it was made by Gradall. :D

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
9' ceiling height.

If I was handed this job it would be three guys, two on ladders or baker staging and the third guy supplying the two on ladders or baker.

The third guy would be unwrapping new fixtures, breaking down the old fixtures, removing trash and if the other guys are on baker could push them to the next fixture.

Don't pay to dispose of more then you have to. Recycle.

Save aluminum reflectors, parabolic lens etc. Ballast leads etc.

We replaced a 200 or so 2x4 troughers and just the ballast leads filled a large trash can well wroth bring in for scrap.
Both OSHA rules and manufacturer instructions prohibit rolling an occupied narrow frame scaffold, whether it is the person on it or a person on the ground making it move.

mgookin

Both OSHA rules and manufacturer instructions prohibit rolling an occupied narrow frame scaffold, whether it is the person on it or a person on the ground making it move.

What is narrow frame?

Regular 5' bucks are what I'm used to. You get a shelf right at waist height and it's much better than running up and down, or working on, a ladder.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
What is narrow frame?

Regular 5' bucks are what I'm used to. You get a shelf right at waist height and it's much better than running up and down, or working on, a ladder.
Take a look at the Perry link in my earlier post for an example.
Not safe without outriggers.

mgookin

Take a look at the Perry link in my earlier post for an example.
Not safe without outriggers.

That's a very narrow system which produces a lower tipping point hence the outriggers.

There is scaffolding on the market with regular 5' bucks on 7' centers, regular cross braces, guardrails and wheels. It does not require outriggers and seems like it would be much more stable.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
...There is scaffolding on the market with regular 5' bucks on 7' centers, regular cross braces, guardrails and wheels. It does not require outriggers and seems like it would be much more stable.
That's right!

And it's not called baker's scaffold. :happyno::p

Status
Not open for further replies.