Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AHJ frustration

Quote Originally Posted by ggunn View Post
    I design PV systems for installation all over the state of Texas. We have a constantly evolving document on our server with a running tally of all the different things we have to do to be compliant in each jurisdiction.

For example: We have one (and only one) AHJ that considers line side connected PV to be a separate service entrance, with a N-G bond in the disco and its own ground rod bonded to building ground. We have one AHJ that completely prohibits line side PV connections. We have one AHJ that requires all PV to be line side connected. We have one AHJ that requires all PV to be line side connected outside the customer's meter. And that's just the differences WRT line side PV; there are plenty of other issues upon which they do not agree.

Yeah, I know, I'm preaching to the choir. Can I get an AMEN?
    Frustrating. I have to say, I find it kinda ironic too - This kinda thing isnt what Texas is supposed to be all about

We have it very good here in upstate NY; Inspections are mostly 3rd party. If you dont like the inspector, you can call a different one!
    Ethan Brush - East West Electric. NY, WA. MA

"You can't generalize"

Quote Originally Posted by GoldDigger View Post
    As in upstream of the customer's meter??Am I interpreting your description correctly that the installation would either require a separate production meter read by POCO or just making a gift of all produced power to POCO?
    Yep, a separate meter read by the POCO connected upstream of the customer's meter. This is the "brainchild" of an engineer in a small POCO who wants to be able to compensate for PV production at a different rate than what they charge for energy. Austin Energy does this, but they put the PV meter inside the customer's meter and just do the math.

Quote Originally Posted by gadfly56 View Post
    You won't find that in NJ. In my previous job I dealt with AHJ's all over northern NJ for fire alarm. The folks down in Trenton are only too happy to reign in an officious AHJ if he's got it wrong.
    I wish that were the case in more places, definitely not happening in the western states I work in.

Quote Originally Posted by electrofelon View Post
    We have it very good here in upstate NY; Inspections are mostly 3rd party. If you dont like the inspector, you can call a different one!
    This can work against you too if the AHJ selects the 3rd party. There are several AHJs in SoCal that use the same 3rd party review company who has strange PV interpretations. So instead of having just one problem AHJ every AHJ that signs up with this company adopts the same problems. When someone protests to an AHJ they just say they go with whatever the 3rd party says.