Thread: Wiring through fixture vent holes

Wiring through fixture vent holes

A manufacturer of an LED Highbay fixture offers a pendent mount adapter, which is a J-box with a 3/4" KO in the top of it, that attaches to the top of the fixture so it can be suspended by a 3/4" rigid stem and hook.

Probem is, the makeup enclosure and access plate (just like any other you'd see on a layin fixture) is located at the end of the fixture.

There is no KO in the center of the fixture for the fixture wiring to pass through to get into the pendant mound J-box adapter, only venting slots.

When questioning the Manufacturer about the lack of an access hole or KO in the top center of the fixture, they responded with the solution to just poke the wires up through the slotted vent holes at the top of the fixture into the J-box.

I was taken back by the response.

Your thoughts?

JAP>

I would want that in writing that it's okay to run the wires like that, for warranty and liability reasons.

Are the vent holes cut into metal? If so I would find some additional protection for the wiring other than its insulation, something like a small rubber grommet or bushing.
    Electricians do it until it Hertz!

Are they UL listed for that wiring method?

Quote Originally Posted by JFletcher View Post
    I would want that in writing that it's okay to run the wires like that, for warranty and liability reasons.

Are the vent holes cut into metal? If so I would find some additional protection for the wiring other than its insulation, something like a small rubber grommet or bushing.
    Yes. The vent holes are cut into the metal.

It all seems Mickey Mouse to me.

Not something I would ever do.

JAP>

Quote Originally Posted by jap View Post
    Yes. The vent holes are cut into the metal.

It all seems Mickey Mouse to me.

Not something I would ever do.

JAP>
    Seems Mickey Mouse to me as well. if the manufacturer was willing to back there spoken statement in writing, I would not have a problem with it, even though it's still Mickey Mouse. Concerns would obviously be the hole in the middle abrading the wires, and if you are plugging a vent hole or two, there could be cooling issues to deny a warranty claim.

Is there nothing on the manufacturer website to show how to do the installation?
    Electricians do it until it Hertz!