Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Long Pull

Quote Originally Posted by mstrlucky74 View Post
    I understand. So, generally, one could make that pull without any splices?
    Yes, and if possible, carry the wire up and pull downward. It's amazing how much difference using gravity helps as opposed to fighting it.
    Code references based on 2005 NEC
    Larry B. Fine
    Master Electrician
    Electrical Contractor
    Richmond, VA

You will also need conductor supports in the vertical portion of the run, see table 300.19 A (every 95’ for 750’s)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jusme123 View Post
    You will also need conductor supports in the vertical portion of the run, see table 300.19 A (every 95’ for 750’s)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes that is what the cable support boxes are for. Thanks.

Is this for 3000 amp switchgear? While you can use 3.5" conduit for a, b, c, and neutral, I would use 4in to make the pull easier, and to include a ground if necessary.

There is absolutely no way I would use splices on 24+ 750 MCM cables... And if you have a pull box that could accommodate all this unnecessary splicing, you have a pull box large enough to pull the conductors out after one or two 90s, get some slack in the wires, and then refeed them the rest of the way.

Feed from the top down, use plenty of wire Lube, use a heavy bull rope, keep the wire in a warm space the day before if possible, put as few 90s in as possible, and no kicks, and perhaps most importantly, make sure your wires are long enough... Every 4 inch 90 is going to take up roughly 6 feet of wire.
    Electricians do it until it Hertz!

Quote Originally Posted by JFletcher View Post
    Is this for 3000 amp switchgear? While you can use 3.5" conduit for a, b, c, and neutral, I would use 4in to make the pull easier, and to include a ground if necessary.

There is absolutely no way I would use splices on 24+ 750 MCM cables... And if you have a pull box that could accommodate all this unnecessary splicing, you have a pull box large enough to pull the conductors out after one or two 90s, get some slack in the wires, and then refeed them the rest of the way.

Feed from the top down, use plenty of wire Lube, use a heavy bull rope, keep the wire in a warm space the day before if possible, put as few 90s in as possible, and no kicks, and perhaps most importantly, make sure your wires are long enough... Every 4 inch 90 is going to take up roughly 6 feet of wire.
    Thanks.