Thread: Health Insurance Recommendations

Health Insurance Recommendations

Good morning all,

I wanted to ask if anyone has recommendations for a health insurance provider. I've been pricing around and can not seem to find a half decent plan for under $500 / month. Keep in mind I'm married with two children. Am I wrong thinking I should be able to find a more affordable plan?

Any info is much appreciated.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eriggs View Post
    Good morning all,

I wanted to ask if anyone has recommendations for a health insurance provider. I've been pricing around and can not seem to find a half decent plan for under $500 / month. Keep in mind I'm married with two children. Am I wrong thinking I should be able to find a more affordable plan?

Thanks
    It somewhat depends on what you're looking for as a deductible. And just so you know, if you're finding a price of $500/mo for a family plan, not part of any co-op or trade group or some such, that's a really good price, especially if the deductibles are under $5,000 or so.

Quote Originally Posted by eriggs View Post
    Good morning all,

Thanks
    If you can find a plan for that kind of money, jump at it.

Most people are completely clueless as to just how much healthcare insurance costs because they pay only a fraction of the cost themselves. Keep in mind it is not unusual for employers to pay $10 per hour per employee into the union health and welfare fund that covers health insurance for the union employees. Other employers are paying similar amounts of money for the health insurance they provide their employees.
    Bob

This is one of those things people forget.

This is one of the things people forget when they say they want to start their own business. 15 years ago I paid $900 a month, then my business insurance went sky high passing that for PLC programming. Business did not pay after that.

Cowboy
    A cowboy may get thrown , but they always get up and walk forward.

Quote Originally Posted by petersonra View Post
    If you can find a plan for that kind of money, jump at it.

Most people are completely clueless as to just how much healthcare insurance costs because they pay only a fraction of the cost themselves. Keep in mind it is not unusual for employers to pay $10 per hour per employee into the union health and welfare fund that covers health insurance for the union employees. Other employers are paying similar amounts of money for the health insurance they provide their employees.
    Starting last year employer paid health care amounts were listed on your W-2 because, as you said, most employees have no idea what it costs. It's supposed to be for informational purposes only although I have no doubt the government is using the information.

Last year my wife's company, who we get our insurance through, paid over $28,000 for just the two of us. It's decent coverage but any time someone complains they are told that if they can find better group coverage for the same or less money we'll go for it. No luck yet.

So I have no idea what you get for $500/mo. other than access to a clinic with foreign speaking people sitting in the waiting room with a chicken on their lap to pay the doc.

-Hal

Quote Originally Posted by hbiss View Post
    ...access to a clinic with foreign speaking people sitting in the waiting room with a chicken on their lap to pay the doc. ...
    Laugh if you want, but that's where I CHOOSE to go instead.

One time I had to go to the ER and when they got to the part where they ask what insurance I have I said "I have the same as they do" pointing to the illegals.

Didn't go over too well.

-Hal