Thread: ATS on transformer secondary

ATS on transformer secondary

This might be simple, but I don't recall encountering it before:

Commercial/Industrial site. 480V service. Transformer down to 120/240V for the office area. They want a generator to back up the office only. Do I need to switch the neutral in the ATS?

I could be wrong but I don't see why you would need to. I have inspectors that interpret things differently and while one will allow something another won't so it might not hurt to ask your local AHJ. I would think you could leave the neutral unswitched and as long as you don't bond the neutral and ground at the generator.

Quote Originally Posted by Electromatic View Post
    This might be simple, but I don't recall encountering it before:

Commercial/Industrial site. 480V service. Transformer down to 120/240V for the office area. They want a generator to back up the office only. Do I need to switch the neutral in the ATS?
    Not as long as you set it up as a non-SDS, IE no neutral bond at the genset. The ATS will have to be after the Xformer OCPD, so if you already have a MB panel serving as the secondary protection you will have to rework it with a separate OCPD ahead of the ATS.

Thanks!
    I was trying to think if the derived neutral and the neutral-ground bond at the transformer would create some kind of objectionable path for current getting back to the generator. I guess I was over-thinking it.