Thread: Clearance on a vav box above a ceiling that doesnt have voltage greater than 30volts

Clearance on a vav box above a ceiling that doesnt have voltage greater than 30volts

I was hoping someone could guide me in the correct direction. I'm looking for details on a clearance issue. I have a VAV Box above a drop ceiling with 2X2 lay in ceiling tiles. The control box on the vav box has a 24 volt controller and one 24 volt damper actuator inside. The box is for adding heat to the space with a hot water coil and does not have any voltage over 24 volts inside. What is the minimum clearance in front of the access door on the box? The boxes door has room to open easy but the inspector is telling me I need 36" clear and this would be very hard to obtain in the ceiling. Thanks for any help you may have.

Unfortunately I don't see an exception. Perhaps (A) will be your out if it is does not need adjustment, examination etc...

110.26 Spaces About Electrical Equipment. Access and working
    space shall be provided and maintained about all electrical
    equipment to permit ready and safe operation and maintenance
    of such equipment.
    (A) Working Space. Working space for equipment operating
    at 1000 volts, nominal, or less to ground and likely to require
    examination, adjustment, servicing, or maintenance while
    energized shall comply with the dimensions of 110.26(A)(1),
    (A)(2), (A)(3), and (A)(4) or as required or permitted elsewhere
    in this Code.
    They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
    She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
    I can't help it if I'm lucky

I am curious about this thread. Anyone have any thoughts on it.

Section 306.1 of the IMC requires 30" x 30" in front of the control side to service the appliance. The manufacturers installation instructions will usually say the same.

So how do you get 30" above a ceiling?

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Alwon View Post
    So how do you get 30" above a ceiling?
    Just like the 30" width does not have to be centered on the equipment, could you not have much of the vertical 30" below the ceiling line (if it is suspended, at least).

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rhymer View Post
    I was hoping someone could guide me in the correct direction. I'm looking for details on a clearance issue. I have a VAV Box above a drop ceiling with 2X2 lay in ceiling tiles. The control box on the vav box has a 24 volt controller and one 24 volt damper actuator inside. The box is for adding heat to the space with a hot water coil and does not have any voltage over 24 volts inside. What is the minimum clearance in front of the access door on the box? The boxes door has room to open easy but the inspector is telling me I need 36" clear and this would be very hard to obtain in the ceiling. Thanks for any help you may have.
    Well let the GC know so he can let the HVAC technician know he has to move the VAV in a feasible spot. This has nothing to do with u, the HVAC worker is going to find a way to install it for the clearance to be accepted.