Thread: Apartment building electric service

Apartment building electric service

I have a customer asking about an estimate for a building he would like to convert to apartments. There would be 6 meters/disconnects for the apartments and each apartment would have a 100 amp panel. There would also be 1 meter/disconnect for the common area for a total of 7 meter/disconnects. I've not done an apartment of more than three so I'm curious how others would build the electrical service with the meters and disconnects. I haven't found a ganged meter socket with more than six sockets so would I be able to use a six gang socket and then feed out of that to a single for the common or.....? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Bump
    If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

Quote Originally Posted by ammklq143 View Post
    I have a customer asking about an estimate for a building he would like to convert to apartments. There would be 6 meters/disconnects for the apartments and each apartment would have a 100 amp panel. There would also be 1 meter/disconnect for the common area for a total of 7 meter/disconnects. I've not done an apartment of more than three so I'm curious how others would build the electrical service with the meters and disconnects. I haven't found a ganged meter socket with more than six sockets so would I be able to use a six gang socket and then feed out of that to a single for the common or.....? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you.
    No. You would be over the six disconnect rule for service disconnects. NEC 230.71(A) You would need a main disconnect ahead of the meter stack.