Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Red conductor connected to terminal bar....

Quote Originally Posted by Isaiah View Post
    There's an exception under 200.6(E) that allows white tape to be applied on multiconductors.
    Next question is what other conductors are in the cable? If there is already a white then that should be used for grounded conductor. There are some cables out there with no white conductor - I think you can re-identify any conductor in them other than a green, which must be used for EGC, with white if you are needing a grounded conductor in that situation.

What I have seen is old three wire NM cable without a ground (black, white, red) and someone uses the red for EGC - landing on the neutral in a service panel would be acceptable, but it needs to be green or bare, and I don't think there is any provisions allowing re-identifying an EGC smaller than 4 AWG with green tape or other markings.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

NE (9.1 miles @5.07 Degrees from Winged Horses)
    I’m there to upgrade a service entrance. I see a red wire on the neutral bar and determine that it has been used as an EG since the day it was installed thirty years ago. Do I ID it as an EQ at both ends by stripping it out, wrapping a piece of green tape on it, or spend three days fishing a new compliant cable to the third floor? Let me think about this a minute.
    Tom
    TBLO

Quote Originally Posted by ptonsparky View Post
    I’m there to upgrade a service entrance. I see a red wire on the neutral bar and determine that it has been used as an EG since the day it was installed thirty years ago. Do I ID it as an EQ at both ends by stripping it out, wrapping a piece of green tape on it, or spend three days fishing a new compliant cable to the third floor? Let me think about this a minute.
    My thoughts as well. If you aren't messing with the branch circuit but just replacing the panel some things go back the way they started out.

I can even remember one time landing old green type TW conductors on a breaker, only because they were on a breaker before changing out the panel.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.