Square D wiggy

Status
Not open for further replies.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Indeed it does, but I prefer the Fluke T+ Pro as it has features the Ideal does not (continuity beep, flashlight, digital voltage display), and is vastly superior to a solenoidal tester in my opinion. It's also low Z.
I have never seen that tester, but my troubleshooting choice for line voltage systems will continue to be a solenoid tester. I have zero need to see the digital voltage display for troubleshooting line voltage systems and really like that I can just hold the solenoid tester in my hand and know what is going on without looking at anything.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
For my money: Milwaukee 2205-20.

Low impedance meter, continuity down to fire alarm resistors and below, audible continuity, rugged enough to wear on my bags. I loaned it to one of my guys, and somehow he knocked out the backlight and LED flashlight on it, the meter still worked. I had bought some ill-fitting leads for it a long time back and finally decided to start over, bought a second one a couple weeks ago and gave the first one to one of my students.

I have a Vol-Con, and quit using it a decade ago because there were times even in houses it would give me readings where I would scratch my head, wonder if it was telling me that it was partial voltage off a traveler or continuity, and I'd give up and go get the DMM out of the van. Or I'd need to test amperage, and the Vol-Con falls a bit short in that regard, therefore another trip to the van.

Add in the explosive element of solenoid testers and I decided I'd rather use a homemade shotgun than blow my hand off with a Vol-Con. The Milwaukee is CAT-IV to 600V.

Edit to add: the only chink I found in its armor is that auto-switching to DC is sometimes problematic depending on the circuit. I have had to go back out to the van one time and grab a meter that manually changed from AC to DC to figure out a circuit. One time.

Last edited:

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Edit to add: the only chink I found in its armor is that auto-switching to DC is sometimes problematic depending on the circuit. I have had to go back out to the van one time and grab a meter that manually changed from AC to DC to figure out a circuit. One time.
I should loan you one of my Fluke 12s. It can be set to AC or DC or be set to auto sense as well as doing everything your Milwaukee does.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
I have never seen that tester, but my troubleshooting choice for line voltage systems will continue to be a solenoid tester. I have zero need to see the digital voltage display for troubleshooting line voltage systems and really like that I can just hold the solenoid tester in my hand and know what is going on without looking at anything.

My Vol-Con has continuity testing and shows AC or DC. I can tell if there is 'real' or 'ghost' voltage with it. There is no doubt that I prefer it over a DMM for trouble shooting.

peter d

That's definitely an "old school" mentality.

peter d

For my money: Milwaukee 2205-20.

Low impedance meter, continuity down to fire alarm resistors and below, audible continuity, rugged enough to wear on my bags. I loaned it to one of my guys, and somehow he knocked out the backlight and LED flashlight on it, the meter still worked. I had bought some ill-fitting leads for it a long time back and finally decided to start over, bought a second one a couple weeks ago and gave the first one to one of my students.

Kind of like the T5 but with some improvements?

peter d

Just like everything else....the kids always want the fancy new toys:)

Not necessarily, I just find modern testers to be a vast improvement over solenoidal ones. I'd much rather have fuel injection than a carburetor. They both get the job done but fuel injection gets the job done a whole lot better.

iwire

Staff member
my troubleshooting choice for line voltage systems will continue to be a solenoid tester. I have zero need to see the digital voltage display for troubleshooting line voltage systems and really like that I can just hold the solenoid tester in my hand and know what is going on without looking at anything.

I agree with much of that, they are great tools.

Yet still in many facilities and companies you won't be using one that is not cat rated.

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
Personally I keep a small arsenal of meters that help tell the truth!
Wiggy (which is really a VolCon solenoid tester with continuity test) when I need low R to test.
Neon tester for those pesky knob and tube 3ways.
DMM when I need more accurate measurements.
Megger, Fluke clamp meter, and a couple others.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Not necessarily, I just find modern testers to be a vast improvement over solenoidal ones. I'd much rather have fuel injection than a carburetor. They both get the job done but fuel injection gets the job done a whole lot better.
And I just see ZERO use for a meter to trouble shoot 120 volt control circuits. It does not give me any additional information that I need.

I guess I am saying that the solenoid tester gets this job done better for me than does a meter.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I agree with much of that, they are great tools.

Yet still in many facilities and companies you won't be using one that is not cat rated.
And the one I have is CAT III, and yes that does place limits on where it can be used.

Status
Not open for further replies.