W IRES IN EMT

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Yes, if it's 24" or less. More than 24" has a maximum fill of 40% which is 9 conductors. 24" or less has a maximum fill of 60% so 13 will fit.

kwired

Electron manager
Not if you need to meet the 40% fill requirements.

You could if you only need to meet 60% fill requirement - primarily for 2' or less nipples.

Rob is faster then me on this one.

Carultch

Yes, if it's 24" or less. More than 24" has a maximum fill of 40% which is 9 conductors. 24" or less has a maximum fill of 60% so 13 will fit.

Does the 24 inches include the bushings / hubs / connectors that may be used for terminating the conduit?
Or is that extra inch of fittings considered negligible enough that only the length of raw conduit material, or distance between enclosure exteriors, is what matters?

Last edited by a moderator:

kwired

Electron manager
Does the 24 inches include the bushings / hubs / connectors that may be used for terminating the conduit?
Or is that extra inch of fittings considered negligible enough that only the length of raw conduit material, or distance between enclosure exteriors, is what matters?
Is not specified, a nit-picky AHJ probably counts everything possible though.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The note to Table 1 in chapter 9 states conduit length so I would not include the connector and bushing

kwired

Electron manager
The note to Table 1 in chapter 9 states conduit length so I would not include the connector and bushing
Now to pick more nits,:D

2 enclosures 24 inches between enclosure walls-

run a piece of EMT between them and your EMT length is 24 inches or even slightly less.

Run a piece of RMC between them (with inside/outside locknuts, no threadless connectors or hubs) and you have at least 1/2 inch extra on each end that extends into the enclosures, so you are at least to 25 inches of raceway.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Now to pick more nits,:D

2 enclosures 24 inches between enclosure walls-

run a piece of EMT between them and your EMT length is 24 inches or even slightly less.

Run a piece of RMC between them (with inside/outside locknuts, no threadless connectors or hubs) and you have at least 1/2 inch extra on each end that extends into the enclosures, so you are at least to 25 inches of raceway.

It's 24" of raceway. This one is isn't hard. :roll:

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I got shot down once by my inspector because I had 24" of EMT going into an LB.

The way the code section reads you could use the exception and put j boxes in every 24" and go as far as you want.

Yeah, but only if you were aching to be a thorn in the AHJ's side and you and/or your boss didn't mind the time and material premium. Me, not so much.:roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.